Password Changed Randomly

Evilguru

Registered
I have an iBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11 which I have had for a few years now. However, today when I opened the lid (I almost never shut it down) I found that it would not accept my password.

Now, I know what you're thinking; I must have forgot my password. But I have had this password for a good few months now and never had this before.

I tried SSH from a local machine, no luck.

So in the end I was forced to boot-up using the OS X disk and change the password of my user that way. All seems fine now.

What I want to know is how this could have happened. From the time I got in last night to the time I went to bed I was the only one with access to my iBook, furthermore my local network is firewalled by my server, which only allows HTTP traffic through.

I have not installed any software for a couple of days (the last bit being macports).

If no one had access to my system, no one knows my password, no services could have accessed it (other than SSH, but that is internal only).

Regards, Freddie.

'What I want to know is how this could have happened.' - MacOS X (10.0.0 through 10.5.2) remains buggy.

I have seen MacOS X installations, where no password was used, which resulted in the same situation as you experienced.

Apple (formerly 'Computer') Inc., knows of the problem (for many years) and continues to ignore the problem.

Is that a fully local account? (no AD, bound to domain etc) :-/ AD changing hte password would affect the Mac side too...
Do you use only one keyboard layout?

Back