Password incorrect when accessing file share from WinXP?

Anthony

Registered
I've got a dual USB iBook G3 with Panther recently installed on it. Panther was installed as an upgrade from the developer preview release that had originally been clean installed... and I know the developer release specifically discouraged attempting to upgrade to later versions but what can I say, I'm a wild one. Anyway, everything works perfectly and I haven't noticed any problems - except one. When trying to connect to my home directory from a Windows XP box (by trying \\computername\homedir as I've always done), I'm prompted with the usual login & password dialog.... however this dialog takes about 30 seconds to show up whereas it used to appear almost immediately. And when I enter my login and password it tells me it is incorrect. I'm 100% sure its the right password, its the same one I use to log in to my iBook. I seem to remember in either Jaguar or maybe even earlier in 10.1 that there was a checkbox on the Accounts system pref to "allow logon from windows" and without that box checked I would experience this same behavior. I can't find a checkbox like that anywhere now... and I have no idea where else to start looking for a solution to this. Ideas? Thanks in advance..

Thanks for the suggestions but both of those threads are referring to the opposite situation... I'll clarify I guess since I didn't explain myself too well the first time through. I can map the drives in my WinXP machine on my iBook fine. (I go to connect to server, can browse or manually enter the smb:// address, it shows up on my desktop seconds later no probs.) I'm trying to map the home directory on my iBook as a drive on the WinXP machine. The XP machine is the one giving me the errors... and I'm guessing its being caused by either a change in Samba/CIFS on Panther I'm not aware of or a problem/misconfiguration related to it.

I've had this working in the past, it worked with Jaguar and the WWDC Preview Release... I had my Windows XP box automatically mount the drive at login, so for the longest time I'd come to work, sit down, plug in my iBook, and log in to the XP machine. I could then go to the "Z:\" drive on the XP box I'd see the files in my home directory on my iBook. The day I upgraded to Panther the windows box could no longer connect my Z: drive and when I try to manually access (through the XP console 'net use' command) I'm given the error: Login Failure: unknown user name or bad password.

It definitely sounds like an issue with Panther allowing access/giving permission to the share. Since I can go the other way around and get to the XP box from Panther (which I auth through Active Directory on a Win2k environment just fine no less..) I know there isn't any sort of fundamental network problems or anything like that.

Thanks again!

Hi,
I have the exact same problem: on the PC the loginwindow takes a long time to come up, and after login I am not allowed to browse the Mac though I typed in my name and pw as I use it on the Mac.

I found this out: create a new (dummy) user on the Mac, log in as this user from windows. It'll allow you that and after this, you can connect as the original user (via right click on network neihgborhood icon on desktop, choose 'map network drive'). You'll I see the folders on the mac.

Only problem is: I keep getting "Acces denied" error messages when trying to see the folder contents. Strange, since I can see these on Mac.

Related: updating files in my webdirectory is difficult since they are owned by usr "www". I am not allowed to change them. Logging in as user 'www' from PC works: I see all folders but am not allowed access, even though file permissions are set correctly. Why can't I read / write files?

Last q: setting permissions and applying to all enclosed items does not work. When choosing a top level directory, clicking 'Info' and changing usr / group and 'apply to all enclosed items' I still find enclosed items whose permissions are not set, so I have to use the terminal 'chown' command.
Why doesn't the 'change permissions' command from the info window not work????

pc: win2000 Mac: OSX 10.3.1

Marc

Back