PC User Returning To The Mac Side

SSilver

Registered
Hey All, This is my first post, so I wanted to say Hi and ask a question. Im a very big Mac fan. Have been since 5th grade when I was introduced to '030 All in one Mac. Loved using it. Its what got me into computers. When i got into high school, I had to go to PC because of the program I was in. I just recently built a kick ass PC rig with some of my summer earnings (P4 2.53ghz half a gig ram, Radeon 9700 Pro, blah blah blah), and, well, its decent. I love it, i love to tinker with it, and i love to mess around with it....but i need soemthing stable for college. My grandma gave me $1000 to buy a laptop for college (graduation gift) and I want to go back to my Macintosh roots. Im a moderate *NIX user so OS X is definatly a delight, but i want to know, is the iBook good? I cant afford a power book, and i need a laptop. I want to get an iBook, and im so excited that it went down in price that i can actually afford it. Im thinking of spending about 1500 in total, will this get me a decent iBook? Will it be stable? Ill most likely only be doing Web, Email, Reports, light gaming, Wireless ethernet, ripping and burning cds. General use i guess. ANy recommendations on what configuration i should get? 800mhz G3 with the 32mb Radeon 7500?

Originally posted by SSilver
Hey All, This is my first post, so I wanted to say Hi and ask a question. Im a very big Mac fan. Have been since 5th grade when I was introduced to '030 All in one Mac. Loved using it. Its what got me into computers. When i got into high school, I had to go to PC because of the program I was in. I just recently built a kick ass PC rig with some of my summer earnings (P4 2.53ghz half a gig ram, Radeon 9700 Pro, blah blah blah), and, well, its decent. I love it, i love to tinker with it, and i love to mess around with it....but i need soemthing stable for college. My grandma gave me $1000 to buy a laptop for college (graduation gift) and I want to go back to my Macintosh roots. Im a moderate *NIX user so OS X is definatly a delight, but i want to know, is the iBook good? I cant afford a power book, and i need a laptop. I want to get an iBook, and im so excited that it went down in price that i can actually afford it. Im thinking of spending about 1500 in total, will this get me a decent iBook? Will it be stable? Ill most likely only be doing Web, Email, Reports, light gaming, Wireless ethernet, ripping and burning cds. General use i guess. ANy recommendations on what configuration i should get? 800mhz G3 with the 32mb Radeon 7500?

Go to the education area at the Apple web site. Max out your budget. You need not worry about the stability of the computer. It will be a Mac. It will just work.

i've got a G3 700 iBook from my university, and it rocks! the OS is more stable than anything i've ever used. no problems yet, and i've had it since mid-august. in fact, there are rumors that entire university (not just the art and design department) will be given the iBook option next year :)

besides all the practical reasons, everyone else will think it's really cool looking ;)

i say go for it!

-keris

Originally posted by MisterMe
It will just work.

no offense but thats a lie, its a computer, it will have issues at some point, otherwise we wouldnt have a couple forums that we have, or macosxhints or etc etc ;)

anyways it will work, but it will do something stupid at some point so dont expect miracles ;)

i ordered the 800mhz 12.1 in ibook from the education deal, i think its 1249? plus tax it hits ya for about 1360, then head on over to http://www.18004memory.com/ and order memory from them (i order from them and so do my co workers we have had nothing but success from them), and you'll be under your 1500 limit

a battery and an airport are also cool things to have as well :)

congrats! and enjoy :)

just make sure you get at least 384MB ram... 512MB would be nice... and Airport... yeah AWSOME, my university (University of Miami) has wireless access covering almost the whole campus...
DVD is nice for those LONG plane trips to... CDRW... leave that for your desktop... along with games and "filesharing" ;)

well looks like you have to get the cdrw/dvd drive... not bad though :
Book 800MHz 12.1" Z06J 3-5 days
DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo 065-3835
AirPort Card 065-3840
128MB SDRAM built-in 065-3405
Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English 065-3841
Image 30GB Ultra ATA drive 065-3830
$1,290.00 + tax =1380
512MB ram about 80$

well under 1500, very nice machine...

The iBooks make a great little system, they are well built - with no protruding latches or ports and a neat, simple structure. They perform pretty well, especially when you put in a bit more RAM, though if your budget is too tight to max out the RAM to 640, I'd suggest you just sit on the 128 until you have the funds to spare ... I know it'll be a bit slow, I've done this, but you're better off going all or nothing.

The DVD and CD-Writer and combo options are great, especially with a TV-out port. However, if your budget is tight and you have access to a DVD player and a CD writer at home you could just go with the standard CD-Rom version and save a lot of cash. I find it very useful to have a CD-Writer on the road.

And don't dismiss the smaller 12" screen model ... they are very convenient and easy to carry around compared to the larger 14", and the screen is crisp and clear and at the same res as the larger model.

Airport is a must have if you have access to a wireless network, and you must remember to consider printer, a decent (and lightweight) mouse, etc. I'd also consider paying the bit extra for AppleCare / extended warranty, especially if you don't have easy access to a reliable and trustworthy dealer in your area ... if it gets damaged or you stuff something up you'll be better off dealing directly with apple.

Back