pics of the NV 6800 ultra for Mac

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
Someone got a new NVIDIA 6800 ultra for Mac on ebay and made some pics. It's amazing how big that card is and how mighty the cooling unit looks like. Does it fit anywhere in the powermacs?
Take a closer look at the pics here.
He wasn't able to boot into macosx with that card. There are two reasons why: 1. the card is simply not working; 2. macosx still needs to be adjusted or get new drivers for that card.
Anyway, very impressive..

How is someone able to find the card via eBay? You don't think any of the news sites would have something on it? Sounds fishy to me. I'm remain sceptical under there's some confirmation.

Well i have 6800 for my pc.. but it dont look like that. This card looks longer and i have more ports on mine. So i guess it is a mac one.

One picture shows the model designation on the board as 'NULL'. Maybe this particular card is a pre-production card made for testing.

That story about the seller "winning the card on a conference a few months ago" seems fishy to me. Sounds more like he got hold of a prototype somehow.

people sell prototype stuff on ebay all the time. their were some prototype apple motherboards on ebay a few years back that got yanked by apple legal. some of the more popular prototype stuff that shows up on ebay are mobile phones.

Oh, that looks very much like the 6800's available for PCs right now.. (Mainly because of the design on the heatsink... In a way, I'm glad our peripherals mocked up anyway...)

Well some must be available sometime soon. I just got a quote from an Apple reseller here in australia, and he said allow two weeks for shipping, and this is a G5 Dual 2ghz with a 6800.

With any luck I'll be ordering it within a week or two..

can't wait. Dual 2.0Ghz G5s..
250Gb.
Bluetooth.
MX900.
20" Cinema Display.

Zammy-Sam said:
Isn't this card SLI (scan line interleaving) compatible? Now, imagine two of those in one powermac..

Err... your electricity bill goes through the roof? Your Powermac starts to sound like a hoover?

.. not to mention the three poweradapter cables coming out of your powermac. Now we know what those holes in the case are for. ;)

Back