Pismo begins to boot then display goes gray then turns off

bluwlake

Registered
Hi. I'm new to posting on forums, so sorry if I'm not posting in an appropriate thread. Anyway, here's my problem. A couple of days ago I let my 11 year old daughter use my Pismo and apparently she dropped it on to a carpeted floor. Now when I try to use it, it chimes, starts to boot (the gray apple logo & spinning gear appear) then the screen goes light gray then turns off. I can here the hard drive spinning but nothing else happens. I tried removing my wifi card, combo drive, keyboard, each ram stick (one at time) & battery but still I get the same result. I even tried installing a different hard drives with the OS X Install DVD on one of the two partitions on it, but still the same thing. I have a feeling the logic board is damage but I'm not really sure. Oh yes, I tried to repair permissions with disk utility on the hard drive I had in it when it was dropped & got all good result there. I used a usb external hard drive enclosure to do that. Well, I think that's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

AFAIK, on the Pismo, there should be a little inset button (might be triangular in shape) near the external video port, on the back panel of the machine. This is the reset button for the Power Management Unit. You'll need to insert a straightened paper clip or other similar device to push the button. So, with the Pismo turned off, first remove the battery then press and hold the inset button for 5-10 seconds. Replace the battery, connect to AC power and boot the Pismo. See if this helps.

The problem might be related to your Pismo's display failing ... I'm not sure.

I would suggest checking that all the cables are secure, the Microprocessor Card us seated correctly etc ...

Here are some links that you should check out for info on how to further troubleshoot your issue:

Pismo won't boot.

Pismo won't start.

Toubleshooting Pismo.

Thank you for such a quick reply, virgiltracy. I tried re-seating the daughter card, re-setting the pmu & disconnecting the hard drive & booted just the install dvd & this is what appeared on the screen:

Panic (cpu 0 caller 00X02E002E0C678): Unable to find driver for this platform "Powerbook 3,1",

Latest Stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace: (etc., etc.)

Logic Board?

No matter my rage; I'm still just I rat in a cage!

Ironic. That played on the internet radio I was listening to while troubleshooting.

Thank you, virgiltracy

Any other thoughts on the matter?

When you re-seat a Pismo daughtercard, you really have to *push* it down. You think you're going to break something, it makes a really sick-sounding connection sound, almost a flat thud. But that's what it takes. You have to push straight down, and hard, but if you haven't done this you haven't re-seated the daughtercard.

Back