Places Sidebar

iPenguin

Hey, Look!
What exactly makes the Places Sidebar so much better than toolbar icons? Isn't it basically the same thing, just on the side of the window instead of the top?:confused:

Besides sarcasm, it's the iTunes/iPhoto paradigm transported to the Finder. If you look at it this way, the Brushed Metal also makes some (weird kind of) sense.

It stacks locations vertically, so you can see the title as well as the icon, perfect for adding folders. One may argue that this takes up horizontal space, and that's true, but the tools bar takes up vertical space, so it evens out.

Plus, once you start using about 5-7 locations, you wind up losing the toolbar space and it becomes a menu of locations in Jaguar. I found that annoying, and a scrolling list like Panther's sidebar makes a little more sense for a dynamic list such as that.

Exactly. I absolutely hate having to click a menu when I have a number of clickable icons, whether in a tools pane or in a favorites bar. Windows sometimes forces this onto the user, which is quite annoying. I try to avoid having to select a menu when I have icons to click, so I'll welcome the places bar with open arms.

Back