Please help me make it work!

cheekymac

Registered
I bought a Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) recently for a great deal, and picked up a 17-inch Apple Studio Display M7649Z for it. Then found out I can't just plug them in. So I got an apple's DVI to ADC adapter. I go to plug it all together hoping that would solve the problem. No still not working.

I got it all plugged in and touched my finger to the touch on sign/button on the monitor. The light lights up but that's all that happens. It's been a while since I had a separate monitor cause I have been using an imac, so don't know if I am missing something but shouldn't be this complicated.

I plugged everything in as the diagram showed. Turned on the computer and then tried to turn on the monitor but nothing shows on the monitor screen, it doesn't make a sound. Only the light going on when I touch it, but goes away when I take my finger away.

That's not my only problem. I wanted to use the keyboard and mouse from my imac (Indigo colour imac), but I noticed the light on the mouse isn't going on with plugged into the Power Mac G4.

Any help would be appreciated because I am REALLY frustrated. Thank you.

I don't know if I can help you - but, maybe you can get your money back.
Sounds like the display that you found is dead.
Does the PowerMac G4 work at all? (fans, startup chime, drive running?)
The mouse really doesn't respond if it doesn't boot completely.

The guy I bought the monitor from said I can refund or exchange, but I haven't said anything yet cause I haven't really known what the problem is.

My sister picked up the computer for me and the guy showed her it started up. I tried a different mouse and keyboard but the mouse didn't light up with that one as well. I can hear the can and everything start up and running on the computer.

I can take back the monitor and adapter but not the computer.

Cheekymac, doesn't your dad have a G4 Tower, have you tried out the monitor on his machine?

Still I can't figure out why the keyboard and mouse wouldn't be receiving power on startup, maybe the tower got jostled in transit and some cable or card inside became dislodged. Dunno how easy it is to open it all up but if you did you might see something is loose or not seated evenly, I'd start from the power supply.

Just a guess.

Last edited:
You found my thread!

Yes he does though isn't close by. I thought about something coming loose, and I checked and nothing seems to be loose or undone. It could use a little blow from some compressed air.

When my sister gets home I am going to get back my cds from her and try starting it from the disk.

Back