Powerbook 12" 1.33Mhz hard drive replacement

pedz

Registered
It appears as if Apple no longer considers the hard drive as a customer installable part. At least, I can't find a document that tells me how to do it.

I have a drive on order and I figure I will plow into it next week sometime. Has anyone else done this yet? Any tips?

Its pretty easy in all the power books. Simply remove ALL the screws in the bottom of the cabinet and then the top (the area where the keyboard is) will seperate from the bottom shell. Be careful not to pull away to quickly as a ribbon cable or two will attach to the top shell. Unplug the ribbon cables and you will see the hard drive. Unscrew, unplug and reverse all the above. I can now do it in under 5 minutes, but the first time took me about 15 - 20

Good luck and go slow!

I've done this. Just be very careful when prying the case apart. That aluminium finish scratches easily and get's bent out of shape easily. If you can afford it, get someone else to do it! But if you're like me, skint and up for a challenge, head on over to http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/53.0.0.html and look through the documents on upgrading. Following them down to the letter is the best way to go about upgrading your hard drive.

Did it with mine and now my Powerbook has a nice 7.2KRPM hard drive. Sweet. :)

.. Going to take apart my Powerbook today, and replace the hard drive with a 80 GB 5400 and a superdrive ... :D (so diggin' even further to reach the optical drive)

I actually gave up uninstalling the airport card in my tibook. Need to unscrew the bottom as well and for that I need some special screwdrivers. That spoiled my motivation.. ;)

Except for that "slack-jawed yokel" look I get (see first image) when concentrating sometimes...

yea, dat be me.

The takeapart wasnt that bad, just a TON of oddball screws (like after a whiskey distillery tour we did earlier that day I can actually tell the diff between 4.0 and 4.5 mm screws argh). I can see why others have cursed that design. The only harder PB i've taken apart was one of the original iBooks (ok, so i didnt use instructions) which seemed to involve some kind of kama sutra use of your fingers while opening certain parts of it...

All in all, it was pretty fun, I like our products...

Dorn.

This may be dumb, but can I upgrade my processor? I have a original 12", and wouldn't mind upgrading from the 867MHz to a 1.33GHz. Anyone??

granthac, sell that powerbook and buy a new one. it's the only reasonable way of doing that .. unless you want to buy a new logic board etc etc which would basically cost you more than just selling the old and getting a new to replace it.

Back