Powerbook G4 Won't Boot from CD, or HD

blackoutspy

Registered
OOOooook. I think I've got a good one for you guys. First, the laptop.
It's a G4 Powerbook (Aluminum?) with 1.63ghz and 1gb ram. I'm running the latest OS X (10.4.?) is the number i think.
I just recently got a new battery for it cause the old one wasn't lasting longer then an hour. I used the new battery for about a day, then as part of my usual routine I ran cocktail to repair disk permissions and clean the cache followed by a restart. Thats when all the trouble began. If i just power on the G4 it bongs, spools the HD and displays the Gray Apple on the white background as usual. What it doesn't do how ever, is show the little clock, or do anything else. It just sits there.
Next, i tried to boot off my installation CD by pressing <option> at start-up. This brought up the menu just fine, but when i choose to boot from the cd, instead of a gray apple on white back ground, i get a gray "no" or "do not enter" sign. To be more discriptive, its the circle with a slash going through it, hope you know what I'm talking about. I've never ever seen this before, and once its displayed it acts like it did before, just stops, and sits, doing nothing.
Next, i tried to boot directly from the CD using <C> on startup and just skipping the boot selector. This scared the hell out of me honestly, because it brought up the gray apple, but shortly after, it shifted to the right, and down, leaving some random colors and shapes in its path. The shapes were less then 1 sq. cm. but they're just ranom chunks of crud it looks like.
I'm by no means a computer novice but this baffles me. Hopefully someone out there can help me. Just let me know if you need more info and I'll do my very best to give you what you need.
Thanks in advance.

Back