Press3 Reviews

Well I'm happy to see people cooling off a bit in this thread. I'm the moderator in this here parts. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my approach to moderation was just that, moderation. I had been reading this thread since it found its way to this forum. I had hoped that you people wouldn't have resorted to name calling, because it destroys the debate for which this thread was created. In addition to possibly being offensive, of course.

Point of fact I made this thread my first visit today to see if the bickering had continued since my last visit. I’m happy to see some of you realizing the errors of your ways.

It has been my experience that the best way to loose a debate is to sling a little mud. Well the mud has been slung, so let’s clean ourselves off a bit and continue the debate if we are so inclined, but without the name calling please.

Googolplex is right, this has gotten a bit out of control, specifically in the name calling.

Ed, you're right, we did go overboard there :) certainly not 'moderate'.

Not that this is an excuse, but I think when I see nevagive thoughts on press3, I get easily upset.

For the record, I do disagree with racerx on nearly everything he has said here.

BUT, I don't hate him. Or anyone else here (Though my attitude has perhaps suggested that I do).

Press3 and macosx.com hold a special place in my heart. I am sorry to have tarnished it by my comments in this thread.

thanks for acknowledging that kilowatt. i kind of thought that was the case. well said reply. none of my friends have to agree with each other to keep me loving them. i don't agree with all of what anybody else has to say most of the time myself. that's why we talk these things thru and see what we can come up with. there's no reson that the discussion can't continue with a little mutual respect for differences of opinion.

Here, i'll start. I think one issue that deserves to be addressed is the fact that press3 was using macosx forums to provide help. it makes sense that members of that community would feel threatened about reading negative reviews to something they are indirectly (?) connected to. and to want to remedy the situation. Likewise it seems reasonable for the certification process to still be in need of tweeking. As kilowatt pointed out, apple didn't perfect theirs overnight. So how can members of macosx contribute helpfull suggestions to see the certifications and reputation of this community grow into something more meaningful and with good standing in the larger community? And can that really be done by anyone who hasn't seen or taken the tests.?

If the fighting is done, the main topic is very important to me.

So is Press 3 good for me or not? Racerx says no, kilowatt has discribed it in a way that also says no, and testuser made suggestions that would make it so that it seems like it would be good.

I have up grades my 6100 to a G3, added RAM, replaced a HD, installed a number of versions of the system. kilowatt, where do I get the experience to take Press 3? If I could afford a better system, then I could also afford Apple's IT stuff (which sounds like it is designed for someone like me). Other than the Apple store and CompUSA, I have not been able to play with 9 or X for any large amount of time.

After testuser talk about Apple's docuemnts at their site, I found some, but I don't know where to start. Maybe Mindy and Admin don't want this for people like me, but when I first heard about it it sounded great.

I searched these threads for almost 2 weeks now, and I find lots of answers I don't really understand because I don't have the stuff in front of me (like OSX and Unix and all). A friend was going to give me photoshop 2.5 that should run on my system so I can try some of the things I see here. I just need some direction to start. If blingbling can get up and running with a newer (not new) system and seems to have some type of handle on this stuff, then maybe I should invest in hardware. I just want to start looking for a job by the end of summer.

Even thow Mindy didn't like Racerx's idea about OSX 101, I would very much like to have that. I was not able to find anything like it, so again links would be helpful. Thank you guys for the ideas and testuser, you seem to know the most, please post links to free docs.

Thanx

testuser sanely stated:
When everyone carries their ball home (Admin removing legitimate posts, and members by withholding patronage) because of perceived grievances the general Mac community loses a valuable resource.

I suggest that someone create a "kiss and make up" thread. Making-up is one of the best parts of any relationship.
I've been trying to stay quiet through this whole issue, but I wanted to raise some points.

In my mind, the Mac community has already lost a valuable resource. When Mac users are resorting to name calling and fighting amongst themselves, it is not a valuable resource.

I am leaving this community, but not with anger. I sincerely regret this decision, but I am not comfortable in this environment any longer.

There are really two issues in this thread, that should be separated into two threads. The problem is that the information is wound up together, so extracting the two from each other would be a tedious process. The two issues are, of course, Press3 certifications and the administration of this forum.

I'm not prepared to speak at length about the Press3 certifications. I do, however, feel that even if I haven't taken them I can most certainly discuss them rationally. If I see someone else criticizing these tests, I can turn to the people who run the tests and say "What about this? Is this true?". I can discuss differing testing methodologies without having direct experience with the tests in question.

What I do want to address is the method in which this site is run. I don't feel that I understand Admin's actions at all. I have had plenty of times in my life when I am stressed, but I would never react the same way. Which is not really the issue, we are all different people.

What I am still completely confused about is why it is taking Admin so long to discuss these issues with the members of this site. I know he said he would be taking a week off. It's been a week, and I see no explanations. This is not an issue that will merely go away, no matter how much we may wish otherwise.

I have never felt that Admin has explained his actions before this, and in most cases I don't feel that he's needed to. But when a number of members are asking for a direct explanation, I don't feel that silence is appropriate.

I have now been to other forums on the net, and I am glad. I enjoy those other places significantly more than I enjoy this forum. When I come back (I have been reading this thread for some time now) there is an air of reluctance which I do not feel on other forums. I don't know where I stand when I post here. I don't know if the full moderation of these boards will be reinstated. I don't even know if this post will see the boards until after I hit the submit button.

I am not trying to point fingers, or lay any sort of blame. But when the situation becomes "Us vs Them", I prefer to find somewhere else to post. And like it or not, there are definitely (at least) three sides to this argument. People who side with Admin and his actions, people who disagree, and people who are neutral to the whole scenario.

And just to make sure everyone understands where I stand on the issue, I have been in strong disagreement with Admin's actions since I first heard about them. Which is why my avatar remains "Gone".

I would love to see a "Kiss and make up" thread. But at this point of the game the spark is gone for me. I don't stay in relationships which cause me pain, nor do I post to forums I am uncomfortable with.

When I can no longer rationally discuss a topic without being flamed, I leave. And think about it. We had a long discussion about one of the most controversial subjects in history: religion. And where people did step out of line, they promptly apologized and we continued to speak rationally. And yet we cannot discuss simple certification tests without resorting to name calling.

I apologize for the length of this thread, and the rambling contained therein. But since I feel that this is my last post here, I wanted to make sure I cover everything.

Congratualtions on your first Father's Day testuser.

I also am a father, and I agree 100%. My son woke up every two hours screaming for food. That's every 2 hours, everyday, for at least two weeks.

I wasn't sure what year I was in when the weeks were finally over. :confused:

i agree testy. and that's with a normal, healthy child. we all know that mindy had some complications and that their daughter syndi (sp?) was touch and go for a while. It will be a while before that kind of threat will fully be in the past.

btw mindy - add me to the list of those wishing you the best as a new mom and hoping for the continued good health of your daughter. Maybe someday you will be able to tell her about the hubbub she was indirectly involved in when she was born and laugh with her about it. I can hear it now - about the time that Scott tells her she can't go on a date with a 16 yo boy and she swears he hates her. "Honey, your father loves you very much. when you were born he was so worried about you that he..........and i assure you that hasn't changed. He still worries about you."

;)

Reading this thread really makes me sad. I've been a member of this site for some time now. Although I haven't posted as much as the most of you I read almost every thread, posting only when I felt the need to. This is one of those times.

The reason that reading this thread makes sad is that I feel a lot of people got hurt personally and the words were written in anger. I think that if you want to comment on somebody's post there is no need start calling each other names and what not. Now I'm not taking sides in this, I think all sides got pretty hurt from all the reply's written.
I also feel that we as a community lost some very good people, and I will miss reading your post's. I can't help but feel that we have all lost a little these last couple of day's.

My thanks goes out to Ed who seemed to get this a little under control and steered it in the right direction.

Please excuse my english, it's sometimes hard to express your feelings in another language. :)

Thanx testuser! I'm going to start reading it tonight. I think I'll also get an iMac (old one). I didn't want to because they looked hard to open up and you can't upgrade them, but they are sort of in my price range and would let me start working with OS9 and OSX.

Thanx again for the link!

wedge - i suggest you be sure you get at least a 400 mhz. 600+ would be better. and you can upgrade the most important thing for osx - ram. I think you'll be impressed.

back to the tests - i don't know if this info would be needed for the certification or not, but knowing about where it exists would be a useful thing to know - MacTracker contains the following info:

"Mactracker provides detailed information on every Apple Macintosh ever made, including items such as processor speed, memory, upgrade, and expansion options. Also included is information on Apple monitors, printers, scanners, digital cameras, Newtons and versions of the Mac OS.

Mactracker also gives you the ability to save your own custom notes to each system window. To keep you up-to-date, a built-in update engine is included making sure your database is the most current one available."

It seems that this would be a valuable reference tool for anyone doing mac tech work of any kind. Apple used to keep a database like this as well. I don't know if they've keep it updated or not.

I think we should all stop trying to avoid this issue, that includes you, Ed. I like being nice in debates and keeping things calm. But really if you excuse me.

Where oh where is Admin?? All of the things that have happened resulted from his actions. Maybe becoming a father results in extremist controlling thoughts, I wouldn't know I don't think I'll know for a while. But really, I've come to notice this. Scott doesn't talk to us. He posted a sub-part 'appology' to us right before he took his time off, and we haven't heard anything since then. Where is he? This is his site, I would think he would have interest in making things better around here.

Anyways come out and talk to us. Maybe then people would regain some respect. Don't hide from the problems that you have created.

Wow I'm really taking all sides of this issue here :D

thanx again testuser, that was very helpful. the only think it was missing was picture of some of the parts. but this place had lot of pics of macosx, so that made up for it.

I finally see what happened to nkuvu, and why I didn't see him anywhere on the forums...

So long, Wonder Tortoise... :(

Back