Problem mounting linux partition on an external hard drive

LopsidedElf

Registered
I have an external hard drive with a windows and several linux partition and i'm trying to mount one of the linux partitions on my intel iMac. When i use the Disk Utility to try and mount that partition it says in the log that it succeded but its not on my desktop or anything. The partition is named Disk1s3 and is 206 gigs if it matters. Can anyone help?

I don't think Mac OS X has support off-the-bat for Linux partitions. I have installed Ubuntu 6.06 on my iMac G5 and when I have it booted to Mac OS X, it doesn't see the partitions at all from the Ubuntu side.

As for the Windows partition, you can use it but if it's formatter NTFS you'll only have read support (Mac OS X can't write to NTFS because Microsoft hasn't allowed others the ability to do so). If it's formatted FAT32, it will be fully supported but you'll encounter some limitations.

While there is a project now that has reversed-engineered the ability to perform read/write functions to an NTFS partition on Linux (not Captive NTFS, another project that doesn't come to mind at the moment). Hopefully we'll see this down the road on OS X.

Back