Problem OSX install on Rev D iMac

caseyaberhart

Registered
Hello All,

i have read numerous threads on many forums with no help as of yet.

i have installed and re-installed os x 10.2 on my Rev D iMac 333MHz 128Mb ram 6 Gb HDD 24x Tray loader CD-ROM, i have latest firmwares for ATI Video, iMac Update and CD-ROM Update.

First i Got a prohibited sign after the apple logo, second time it showed apple logo with garbled horizontal lines across the screen

i am pulling an all nighter and will post results of 3rd attempt

any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

no luck on 3rd try, same garbage on screen

verbose mode is covered in garbage too

it tells me:

verifyCompatibility(): Extention "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily" cannot be found.
getDependencyListForKmod(): Dependancy com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily of com.apple.driver.AppleGossamerPE is not compatible or is unavailable

it then dumps debug info, most covered by horozintal lines of crap then ends in:
panic: We are hanging here.

any ideas? i understand some linux/unix but have never compiled my own kernel or anything more advanced than compile packages and install rpm's

others have had this problem and i am attempting to contact these individuals for advice.

Do you have the original OS 8/9 installation CD - and does _that_ install fine? Or is there a hardware test CD for this Mac? Generally, I'd say you shouldn't have to compile anything in order to install Jaguar on this iMac. ;)

os 8, 8.6 and 9 install fine, i have been told by another individual with the same problem that i have, they said they couldn't get it to install no matter what he did, but he had a B&W G3, he said he couldn't fix it and he just installed a later version, i don't have access to or money to buy a newer one.

i don't know why but apple refuses to provide support for my machine, they don't reply in forums or emails.
my phone calls to my nearest authorised apple repairer/seller have done me no justice at all.

Rouge Tr00per:

I have used this mac to connect to the net under os 8.6 and os 9, ethernet works as far as i know as does usb, could you go into depth as how the built in hardware in this iMac could be conflicting with os x? is there any way do disable the on board devices falling short of de-soldering the components on the main board? i really want to see this mac running os x as i have not had the pleasure of using this os.

Back