Program to view gnome or kde?

KDE and Gnome are not processor-dependent operating systems. They are window managers for the X Windowing System. They are both supported on MacOS X under X11. One place where you can find support for each by the Fink project here.

anyone know how to run gnome i installed it from do fink install gnome-desktop then it said completed. Know what???

to run gnome, from the Terminal type "gnome". Its possible to make it run automatically at logon, or run from an icon, too.

To install KDE, it should be "sudo fink install kdebase3". (base packages only)

You would probably get a lot out of the "FinkCommander" program, which provides a graphical front-end to the install of Fink packages. You can browse all the apps available and decide which ones to install, and they'll be downloaded, compiled and ready to go. See: http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/

symphonix said:
to run gnome, from the Terminal type "gnome". Its possible to make it run automatically at logon, or run from an icon, too.

To install KDE, it should be "sudo fink install kdebase3". (base packages only)

You would probably get a lot out of the "FinkCommander" program, which provides a graphical front-end to the install of Fink packages. You can browse all the apps available and decide which ones to install, and they'll be downloaded, compiled and ready to go. See: http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/

i downloading everything from the gnome cat and when i whent into terminal and typed gnome nothing hapend.

I believe you have to do it from xterm (the terminal within X11). Launch X11 first and a terminal window (xterm) should pop up after X11 has loaded. In xterm, type "gnome-session &" and it should startup Gnome. For KDE, you need to type "startkde &". (Exclude the quotes when typing in the commands.)

BTW, the "&" is there in the command to make the process run in the background. This will allow you to continue using xterm for anything else. If you leave out the "&" then you won't be able to use it since whatever window manager you start from there will run in the foreground of xterm preventing you from using it for something else.

Back