Publishing iCal to desktop to...or anywhere?

Vard

Looking for progress
Can someone point me in the direction of some information on publishing an iCal calendar to something other than a .Mac account? I think I have PHP installed correctly to use phpcalendar, but nothing seems to be working correctly...anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Eddie

Running OS X.2.8...thanks

I have had the same problem and I think Apple is doing the "Microsoft Thing" by making their software only work with their proprietary software/offerings. You can't even export iCal contacts in an efficient fashion to another computer running iCal. I tried and it just duplicates any similar entries (ie. if you are trying to keep your same calendar entries on different computers.) It's a pain!

http://www.icalshare.com/

Look around, there are others but icalshare has been around for some time. Sorry to say Natobasso but Apple isn't doing a "Micro$oft thing" in this case. It is easier to use .Mac and I'm sure Apple would prefer to keep things (and people's cash) in-house but there are alternatives out there. :)

Randman

I am not cooking up a conspiracy theory. However, Apple has created programs like iMovie which seriously pissed off it's partner in crime Adobe, so there's some truth to the fact that Apple's trying to branch out and get more people and programs in it's web of offerings. iLife is another example. Apple is trying to maximize the use of it's own software rather than licensing its operating system to different computer manufacturers as Microsoft has done.

My other proof of the partial "Microsofting" of Apple is OS X itself. I feel it's distancing the user with the interface whereas in 9 you could really get into the nuts and bolts of the operating system. Microsoft has always keep its system software code a well-guarded (till recently!) secret; OS X can be programmed/hacked in postive ways. For most people, though, there's too much to think about with OS 9 such as RAM allocation and the like, so X gets that type of person into the game.

I still believe Apple is a kick ass company but I wish it could successfully improve it's 3-10% marketshare—But maybe that's the nature of the beast? Kind of like the quality and relative rarity of fine cars or art—they are more expensive but carry with them a finer aethetic that inspires creativity and more open thinking. This is what separates Apple from Microsoft, in my view; even with a little "Microsofting" going on for profit's sake.

Now back to the point! :) What calendar software would you recommend that is more transferrable and updatable among different computers?

Apple has created programs like iMovie which seriously pissed off it's partner in crime Adobe
Partner in crime is a bit strong of a negative word, eh? And Adobe's movie app sucked. But before iMovie, there weren't many options.

so there's some truth to the fact that Apple's trying to branch out and get more people and programs in it's web of offerings.
Yes. That's called running a business.

Apple is trying to maximize the use of it's own software rather than licensing its operating system to different computer manufacturers as Microsoft has done.
It's been done before and there are arguments, pro and con, if this should be done again. A thread on this very subject was on this site not less than 2 weeks ago, I believe.

My other proof of the partial "Microsofting" of Apple is OS X itself. I feel it's distancing the user with the interface whereas in 9 you could really get into the nuts and bolts of the operating system.
I loved OS9 but Jaguar and Panther offer so much more for the user. And with a little work on the Unix side (which can be learned easily enough and for free), there's plenty of nuts and bolts to mess with, arguably more.

Now back to the point! What calendar software would you recommend that is more transferrable and updatable among different computers?
More transferable? That I don't know. But iCal is transferable and updatable from different computers. And that it is publishable from something other than .Mac is the answer to Vard's original question.

When I export contacts from one computer's iCal and try to then import them into another computer's iCal (which already has what computer #1 had in it, except for the new entries I am trying to import) it not only adds the new entries on computer #2, it also duplicates all the similarities. It's a serious pain! Anyway around this?

Back