QT Pro: Maybe higher price...

macosXrumors

Registered
Apple may increase the price of the Pro version of QT

Maybe they'll have to pay a lot to use MPEG-4. So users may be charged more.

I have the QuickTime 6 Public Preview installed, and my QuickTime 5 Pro key works.

I have no idea if this will be the case with the final release, though.

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
I have the QuickTime 6 Public Preview installed, and my QuickTime 5 Pro key works.

I have no idea if this will be the case with the final release, though.

If not somebody is going to be killed!!! :mad:

Apple could probably get away with upping the price another $10 to $39.99, but any higher than that would be self defeating.
Being a content creator, QTPro is essential to what I do, but most people go without buying it.

I really hope my QT5 key continues to work after QT6 final comes out. Then again, I got my key courtesy of Apple for being a QT5 beta tester...

:)

Apple has already stated that QT5 keys will only work for the preview. The final version of pro will be a piad upgrade to all who want it including existing users due to liscensing they have to pay. There is a url to a FAQ posted in the thread about its release.

Well if it's the only way to bring us MPEG-4 so why not.

LOL what if Steve Jobs read this thread... he'll think "Oh okey they want me to increase the price? no problem..." ;).

Sorry Apple,

BUT I WILL CRACK THAT THING!

Im a poor student. I cant pay for every stupid update! :mad:

I only need QT Pro to watch movies on fullscreen and to locally save qt movies which are embedded into webpages.

i don't understand why they can't include these 2 functions into the normal qt version (not pro).

I totally agree, Apple should at least allow full screen to standard quick time, I guess it's one reason why PC users prefer Real or M$ players instead.

Well considering it is now based on MPEG-4 and its totally different paying for it seems reasonable especially considering that apple is going to have to pay a lot of money in royalty fees. Why don't you help them out instead of being so cheap. All of you on here can afford $30 I think.

I think a nominal upgrade fee for the ability to work with MPEG4 is perfectly reasonable.

You aren't paying $45 for Quicktime pro... you paid $30 for the use of it prior and $10 or $15 for the updated codecs that Apple has to pay royalties for to license you the codec.

You can keep on going with QT5... all the content you work with in it will still function fine with QT6 players. You don't need to rip off Apple.

I just wish they bundled some of their software... like $150 for OS X.2, Appleworks, and QT Pro... that'd be nice :)

I wish they would release QuickTime Pro 6 as a 10$ release. My guess is that 80% of all people using QT Pro 5 didn't actually pay for it. (I paid for my license.) I think Apple should lower prices for AppleWorks with version 7 (I know it's dirt cheap already). Why? Because I believe 50% of all people *not* entitled to use AppleWorks for free because they bought an iMac or iBook use it 'for free'.

I wish (yes, I'm full of wishes) AppleWorks was a true alternative to Office, like, fully compatible, for 39$.

Apple already does similar things with their video software. I mean, they offer iMovie for *free* with all DV enabled Macs. And the professional video software is *much* cheaper than comparable competitors' software, too. They have a *good* chance to win in the video market. Maybe some day AppleWorks is actually so insanely great that we don't *need* Microsoft any more. Wouldn't that be great?

What would the world do, if in fact the Macintosh would not only be the best option of them all, but also the fastest and easiest choice for office work? Right now, if you have an office of like 10 people who all need to do office work in MS Office, the cheapest and best (yes, best) way to go is to buy them all a cheapo Wintel-workstation with MS Office.

Apple shows quite easily that the Mac is plainly the better, easier, faster and cheaper solution to Desktop Video & Desktop Publishing. Wouldn't it be truly beautiful if Apple just ruled? (Of course, Apple still rules our hearts and money, but I mean their hearts and money.)

And shouldn't this post be its own thread?

My take on shareware pirating is that people simply don't want the HASSLE of paying for the software... no matter how cheap it is.

I mean... five dollar software titles are being cracked and pirated... you can't discount that anymore. It's not even worth it.

It's better to charge a reasonable price than to try and lowball a handfull more people who were sitting on the fence. In the end, you'd still only really be getting the people who didn't have the cash and simply weren't going to use the software, and pissing off the people who already paid the premium for the earlier versions of the product.

The other thing to remember is that software cannot be arbitrarily priced... royalties and engineering/development costs are indeed tangible assets that need to be returned. Small ma+pa-soft Inc. types can do this... but when you're paying per encoder... it gets pricey QUICK. You also MUST pay your engineers... especially when you're already giving out half of the product for free just to give incentives for people to even want the not-for-free portion.

Agreed. As I said, I was thinking wishfully. :)

What about the other stuff?

Back