Quake 3 Arena in OS X

julguribye

Registered
Can someone please tell me why Quake 3 is SLOWER in OS X than in OS 9? And I don't mean hardly noticeable slower I mean MUCH slower and much more "bumping". I thought that everything with Open GL were supposed to be FASTER in OS X... Because OS X has Open GL built in... Before I could use almost the best setting in Quake, now I must use the lowest and I still get poor performance.
And it's not just with Quake, its the same thing with X-plane and other games.
I have the latest ATI drivers and the latest OS X (of course) I even have more RAM than I had before when I used OS 9. What's up with this?

This is curious...for me Quake3 on OS9 is slower and constant frame droping.
What is more curious for me is that with every Quake3 patch my gaming is getting worst and worst. The original 1.30 patch was wonderful with MacosX 10.1.2 but not with 10.1.3 so i had to apply the 1.31 and other beta patches with no results. Now, i simply couldn't make any good gaming on either OS.... :(

Do you have any deamons running in the background? I noticed that Wolfenstein - for example - runs really smooth when I shut down stuff like Folding@Home (also killing its Core process), but very bumpy when it runs. Same goes for Quake 3. If I close everything, Quake 3 SCREAMS!

Hmmm...can you give me a definitive FPS number from the timedemo so I can compare it to my version running under classic and OS X? I ran a timedemo when the first beta OS X version came out (IIRC it was even the OmniGroup version) and it was slightly faster.

Could somebody enlighten me on how to see/kill processes? I've seen it done once, but I never really knew how to do it...
I run Quake 3 and RtCW great already, but I believe there's always room for improvement...

easiest way: go to the terminal and type "top". Now you see a list with all running processes (Process viewer is a GUI wrapper for top) with their PID (process ID) at the beginning. To kill a process, just type "kill PID".
So, for example, if you the Core process of FAH has the PID 366 in top, just type "kill 366" and the process is killed.

a timedemo is a benchmark. Number 1 means running the first demo as a timedemo. A demo is a previously recorded game. When you run a timedemo, the engine tries to finish the demo as fast as possible, drawing 24 frames for every second of the demo, so if it can draw one real second of the demo in let's say 1/10 second realtime (since it can process the demo that fast) it displays them at that speed. After the demo is finished, it gives you the result, an average FPS count of the timedemo. This is the common way of benchmarking in the Quake community.

Sorry for being dumb, but where can I get this demo/benchmark thing?
Is it the demos from the "Demos" menu? Well, there are no demos inside... "NO DEMOS FOUND"

Quake 3 is faster in OSX than OS9 for me.

If you are having troubles, you really should go visit the Q3W Forums and poke around the Macintosh section. There is also a FAQ there for doing timedemos and tweaking your configs.

For me, Quake3Arena runs much faster in Mac OS X than in Mac OS 9. Go through and check ALL your settings in Quake 3 Arena under Mac OS X. I noticed that when I switched from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X, all my settings were changed, from mouse speed, connection speed, sound quality, screen resolution, etc...

What about TEAMAREA, does not work under X, in hands showing white screen. Worked perfectly under OS 9

Another question about Q3A, How do I or which ports should I open to play over internet in Q3A?

I tried many but I think I take the wrong one all the time, because non server come up in the list, it says "No response from master server" :s

Back