Query for OSX Guru: Setting hostname

ZeroAltitude

Registered
Hello,

The documentation says that OSX will do a reverse-lookup for its IP address to set it's hostname. Or, if you want, you can manually set it with hostname -s <hostname>. Note, however, that this latter must be done at every boot to override the default behavior.

My question: I have a Mac OSX TiBook booting up with a private/local 172.16.113.x address in my home network. The TiBook has been told to get it's IP from a NAT DHCP server which is connected via the other NIC to the internet via cable modem. Also, the TiBook has been told to get its nameservice from this machine as well.

Lately (heh, after sending my TiBook to Apple Care), instead of doing what it used to do and saying that it's name is 'stealth' in Terminal, it now says something really funky like 'edward\213scomputer.DOMAIN'. Sure enough, when I manually nslookup using my NAT/DHCP/local nameserver, it says that's the name attached to 172.16.113.x where x is the ip assigned to my TiBook.

But I cleared the cache for the nameserver. That means that somehow, my TiBook is announcing itself as edward\213scomputer. How do I change this announcement? NetInfo graphical UI is waaaay to slow to do anything useful, and, there's no hostname file in /etc. How do I set my baby's name back to 'stealth'?

Thanks,

Thanks, testuser. But do you know the answer to my remaining question: where is this 'edward\213scomputer' string coming from *in the first place* -- netinfo? Some config file?

I believe \213 is unicode speak for some kind of apostrophe.

Back