Question about upgrading Mac OS X 10.3 to 10.4

tomdkat

Registered
I've got server Mac OS X 10.3.9 server edition and I would like to upgrade it to OS X 10.4 server (I can't migrate to 10.5 server just yet).

Will I need a specific OS X 10.4 server *upgrade* to upgrade my 10.3.9 server or will a non-upgrade version of 10.4 server be able to upgrade my 10.3.9 server?

Thanks!

Peace...

You just need to purchase a full Mac OS X Tiger Server license (probably the unlimited version, which is probably what you are running now in Panther). The full installer will be able to do an upgrade for you or install a fresh OS. You'll see the options for the type of installation while performing the install. Make sure you do have a backup, in case you run into any snags! :)

Michael

Thanks! I've found a new copy of Mac OS X Tiger server for a GREAT price that I'm considering buying. It's a 10-seat license, which is fine since there are only 6-7 machines most connecting to it. I don't know (right now) if the current 10.3.9 server is a 10-seat or unlimited licensed product.

If the current 10.3.9 server has an unlimited seat license, will I run into any license issues upgrading to a 10-seat Tiger server?

Peace...

You shouldn't have any issues. I've swapped between the two in the past. The OS is the same, it's just a restriction on file sharing connections. You should be OK. :)

Michael

Ok, I'm going to finally get around to doing this upgrade next weekend, probably. Wish me luck! :)

Peace...

So, I'm performing the OS X server upgrade now. I booted from the Tiger Server installation DVD and ran the installer. I chose the basic install path and it performed the upgrade. After about 30 mins, I was prompted to reboot the system. At the time the system was just starting to power up (when the initial chime sounded), I removed the installation DVD. Now, I've got the gray screen with the Apple logo in the middle and the spinning wheel at the bottom.

It's been like this for a little over 5 mins now and I'm not sure if that means something went wrong or if the system is still initializing after the upgrade.

What should I do? Just wait or should I reboot and see what happens?

Thanks!

Ok, I must have taken the installation disc out prematurely. I pressed the reset button to reboot the machine and put the install disc back in and was able to complete the upgrade.

I'm running software updates now! :)

Peace...

Back