Questions about Servers

BriceH

Registered
I have a few questions about servers:

Is there any difference between a server and a computer other than the fact that a server runs a server operating system?

What are all the services that a server can provide to a network?

Is there a way that I can use my Snow Leopard (client) MacBook Pro as a file server for my network? I know how to setup file sharing, but is there a way that I can make a user automatically be redirected to a certain folder on my Mac instead of my home folder or /?

Is there any difference between a server and a computer other than the fact that a server runs a server operating system?
Not really. A "server" is simply a computer that "serves" a "service" to other computers on a network. It doesn't necessarily have to run a "server" flavor of any OS. In addition, you can run a server off of any network-connected computer, but certain hardware is more adept at being a server than other hardware -- for example, Apple's XServe hardware is the same as any other computer: a processor or processors, RAM, hard drives, and network connectivity. But it's delivered in a rack-mountable form factor, which lends itself well to a lot of power in a small space.

You can run a "server" flavor of an operating system on a computer that isn't specifically designed to be a server.

Likewise, you can run a "non-server" flavor of an operating system on hardware that is specifically designed for server use.

In addition, you can mimic "server" flavor services on an operating system that is not specifically geared toward being a server. You can also run "non-server" type applications on an operating system that is specifically geared toward running on a server.

The term "server" is a very loose term, and the best solution varies from person to person, situation to situation.

What are all the services that a server can provide to a network?
There are too many to list. Some common ones are:

- File sharing services
- Web services
- Authentication services
- Shared printer services

Is there a way that I can use my Snow Leopard (client) MacBook Pro as a file server for my network? I know how to setup file sharing, but is there a way that I can make a user automatically be redirected to a certain folder on my Mac instead of my home folder or /?
That's it -- you've got yourself a "server." You are sharing files and folders to users on your network. You can add different folders and drives to the list of "shares," and the computers on the network can connect to the server and access those shares.

Typically, "server" flavor operating systems offer more fine-grained control over the tiny little details of a service. As you have found out, though, you can use a regular Snow Leopard computer to act as a simple file server.

If you can be much more specific about what, precisely and exactly, it is you want to do, we can be more precise and exact in our answers. What you've basically asked right now is akin to, "How does a car work?" Explaining that would take eleventy-hundred pages to flesh out how every single portion of a car works, and twelvety-hundred more pages to describe how each part interacts with all the other parts. A more specific question would be "How does the car's engine transfer power to the wheels to make them turn?" That would be much easier to explain.

Explaining every service that a server can serve and exactly how each of those services is configured, maintained and operates is beyond the scope of this forum. Be more specific and we can steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for the info!
Is there a way for me to make a user automatically be redirected to a certain folder upon connecting?

Simply share the drive/folder that you want them to be "redirected" to, and then when they connect to the server, they would simply select that share.

So, for example, if I had an external hard drive with a bunch of folders on it, and I wanted network users to access a folder called "Data" on that hard drive, I would simply share the "Data" folder using the "Sharing" pane of the System Preferences. The users could then connect and access that share.

"Sharing" a drive/folder is not like a web page -- you cannot "redirect" a user to a certain share -- they have to specifically connect to that share.

Users can connect in one of two ways:

1) They can connect to the server itself without specifying a share, and the list of shares available will be presented to them -- allowing them to pick which share they want.
2) They can connect to the server and specify a specific share in the connection string so that they connect directly to that share, bypassing the list of shares.

Back