Quick and Easy Way To Put Powerbook Display to Sleep?

iPenguin

Hey, Look!
Hi All,
I was wondering is there any way to quickly put a powerbook display to sleep besides going to system preferences and setting it to sleep after one minute? Like a menubar item or an applescript or something that tells the display to go to sleep right now? I don't want to put the whole computer to sleep, just the display.

Thanks,
-iPenguin

That doesn't make the display sleep -- it makes the entire computer sleep, which is bad if you simply want to dim the display and have the computer still running (like I do much of the time).

AFAIK, there is no easy way to do this. We have manual control over system-wide sleep, but no manual control over display sleep only.

The F1 key or fn-F1 key combination shuts down the backlight on my 12" PBook when reduced to its minimum level... you just need to remember what you've done to avoid my-computer-won't-wake-up syndrome!

Another option would be to try out SleepLess so you could turn off the screen by just closing the your PowerBook - without it going to sleep. I just tried it a couple of days ago and seems to work perfectly. You can set it to appear in your menu bar and activate and deactivate it from there. You´ll need a PowerBook that is built to be able to run like this (i.e. when running an external monitor) - I think this has been the case with all the G4 models but do check!

Gabs

gdekadt said:
Another option would be to try out SleepLess so you could turn off the screen by just closing the your PowerBook - without it going to sleep.

On that page, next to some red, capital letters you'll find:

Using your Mac with closed lid can lead to serious system heat problems!

As I understand it, the keyboard is one of the places through which iBooks and PowerBooks dissipate heat.

Hi Dusky

That disclaimer is relevant for iBooks (nobody had mentioned iBooks) and some older PowerBooks. Like I said [I hate saying that] you'll need a PowerBook that is built to be able to run like this. Fair dinkum for pointing out why.

There is information on Apple's website about how to run current PowerBooks with the lid closed (ie when attached to an external monitor) - they are built to allow this. I used my 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook intensively when attached to an external monitor with the lid closed for a couple of weeks and it still works - although if for gaming on a hot day I would definitely consider opening the book and raising it from the desk. I believe PowerBooks are now engineered to dissipate heat from the base - I know the base gets hotter than the keyboard - but I also use my PowerBook to keep me warm at night [perhaps I shouldn't have said that].

Gabs

Thanks for the responses guys!
I've seen Sleepless before but was worried about the heat issue. I guess it's not really an issue though since I've got an newer Powerbook.
Thanks!
-iPenguin

Back