quick questions

enathan1085

Registered
hello. I have a 15in. powerbook G4 and had a couple of quick questions. 1) how do I stop the computer from going to sleep and disconnecting from the internet everytime I close it. I am connected to a compus ethernet and I would like to be able to close the computer w/o disconnecting.
2) is there a way to switch applications (specifically from games such as starcraft, wolfenstein, etc.) without exiting from them. my PC friends have the whole Alt-Tab button and apple-Tab works for some smaller apps but not all of them.

thanks for the help

System Preferences >> Energy Saver. Disable in that "go to sleep" and the options as you like.

If you have 10.3, try F9, F10 and F11 keys .. rotate the apps that are in your first attention.

I have "put the computer asleep when it is inactive for : Never" yet when I close the laptop it still signs off the internet. Is there no way to adjust/fix this?!?!

enathan1085 said:
I have "put the computer asleep when it is inactive for : Never" yet when I close the laptop it still signs off the internet. Is there no way to adjust/fix this?!?!
The settings in Energy Saver assume a desktop or laptop with the lid open. There is no easy "fix" to disable sleeping with the lid is closed. Someone might be able to write a haxie to replace that particular driver in the OS but I haven't heard of it. It might be easier to disable the switch on the lid, but then it would never go to sleep when you closed the lid and would absolutely void any warranty or AppleCare on the machine. :(

Right now the only way to reliably keep the PB from sleeping when you close the lid is this: http://home.earthlink.net/~mrob/pub/ibook.html which basically involves taping a piece of metal over the magnet that triggers the sensor that tells the PB that the lid is closed and to sleep. The lack of disabling sleep when closed on both PB's and iBooks is a source of great frustration. There used to be some OS hacks that worked to allow it, but since 10.3 came out they only work with the lid closed for around 4-5 minutes, then it goes to sleep.

Brian

plug an external keyboard/mouse and external screen, so long as it is plugged into th emains it will continue to work if the lid is closed. - Effectivly turning it into an expensive desktop!

i have an external wireless mouse but it still turns off when it closes. are you saying that i would need all 3 (mouse, keyboard, and screen) before it won't turn off?!? i have a wireless keyboard but I don't use it much and an external monitor is definitely out of the question. too much $$$ :(

1. There is a reson that the PowerBook is designed to sleep when it closes. A substantial part of the system cooling is done through the area beneath and directly above the keyboard. I'd suggest just putting the display to sleep when it might distract you, and just don't worry about closing it.

2. To tab between applications, use Apple-Tab. Most applications allow you to tab among the windows WITHIN that application using Apple-Tilde (~).

Back