QuickTime Player 7: saving extra full-screen view state options?

Hippo Man

Hippo Man
Even though I'm running Lion, I'm still using the "professional", legacy version QuickTime Player 7 to view most videos. This is because that software gives us more options for controlling how individual videos are played. For example, using QT7, I can go to Window->Show Movie Properties and save various settings about any individual movie -- such as volume levels, whether the movie opens in full-screen mode by default, etc. -- and after I do a File->Save, those setting will be remembered for that specific movie every time I open it in the future.

However, there is one setting that I do not know how to control in QT7. If I have a movie running in full-screen mode, I get a movie controller overlay when I move the mouse. On that controller, near the right, there is a little rectangle with two horizontal arrows on it. That allows me to control whether the movie shows in "Panoramic" mode or "Fit-to-screen" mode. The default seems to be Panoramic, but for certain movies, I'd like them to always show in that Fit-to-screen mode in full-screen mode. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to save this particular view state with the movie like I can with many other settings.

Yes, I know I can get out of full-screen mode and then select View->Fit to screen. However, that is not the same thing. That only applies to when the movie is not showing in full-screen mode.

So in QT7, is there any way I can cause the full-screen view state ("Panoramic" versus "Fit to screen") to be saved in the movie file on a movie-by-movie basis, just like so many other view options?

Or is there a utility that I can run outside of QT7 which will cause this extra information to be stored in the movie file, so that QT7 will then see and honor those extra settings when the movie is started up?

Alternatively, is there another movie-viewing program that I can use which allows the view state of individual movies to be saved? VLC does not allow view state to be saved on a movie-by-movie basis, but are there perhaps other programs which offer this capability?

Thanks in advance.
.​

Back