Quicktime updates never work

Perishingflames

Registered
Hi,

I've had a long term problem where if I try to update quicktime using Software Update, I always get an error message saying I do not have appropriate access privileges (even though I am admin). I have checked to see if the application has been locked somehow, but that line is grayed out.

Any help? It's annoying to have to manually download every time.

Thanks.

Sounds like you need to reset the Admin password. To do this change your Admin password, reboot and then reset the password back to what you want. Then after than open disk Utility and "Repair Permissions". Good luck.

You mentioned QuickTime app... Are you referring to the QuickTime Player? That's just an interface to parts of your Quicktime software.

So - no other software updates give you any difficulty, only QuickTime updates? That seems really unusual...
If you Get Info on your QuickTime Player - what are your Sharing & Permissions set at?
Mine show
System - Read & Write
Admin - Read & Write
everyone - Read only

Does yours show a different setup?
Is your QuickTime Player inside your Applications folder?
Of course, your QuickTime Player is not all of your QuickTime installation, and other parts also get updated, so the permissions of just that one app really doesn't show you too much, but it's a start... :)

what is the result when you repair your disk permissions (using your Disk Utility)? I don't agree with the idea that disk permissions somehow must be run at any opportunity to prevent (something unknown) from happening - however, in this case, you should try it to see if any problems are reported. It's also convenient, because a new Quicktime update has been released, and you could then try your software update.

I don't quite agree with your view that it is annoying to manually download updates. I prefer it that way, as do many others here. The interesting part is that the manual install does not fail, just the auto-update... Do I have the right idea? And, that all other auto-updates finish properly? It's actually quite common for software update to fail, but with any update, not just with one particular update. I think all updates source through the same server path, so singling out QuickTime is very strange, eh?

Have you tried reinstalling your present OS X update, using the combined installer? Download that from the Apple downloads page, if you don't already have it. That combined installer will sometimes fix strange problems that show up from time to time.

Back