RAM - New iBookG4 vs Old iBookG4

griz

Registered
I see that the new iBookG4 can now accept up to 1.25GB of ram. Looks like it comes with 256 and has an additional slot for a 1GB chip.
My question is this. Since the previous generation of iBook G4 also had one expansion slot, can it too take a 1GB chip. Seems to me the only reason these can go to 1.25 is because the 1GB chips are now available.
I have a first gen 1BookG4 which I would love to push to 1.25GB.
Can anyone answer this question with certainty?
I'd ask apple, but I can guarantee what their answer will be since they want to sell me a new iBook.

the answer is yes to all your questions. I have 1.25 in mine. Does anyone know if the new airport extreme books have the chip soldered in or is it a card that we can remove???

The iBookG4s do not have Airport built in. This on only on the PowerBooks.
Where did you get the 1GB chip for the iBook? How much did you pay for it?

You can get them, but the cost is high. Some ram sellers will just say that 512 is the top for 1 gen G4 iBooks, but you can can go to 1128.

Can anyone give us a bit more info on this? Is there a certain spec that makes it work? Has anyone else actually done this?

It was just at the time of the 1st generation iBook G4s, 1GB SO-DIMM RAM chips weren't widely available. Also, it could mean that Apple did not test the iBook G4 with a 1GB chip -- that doesn't mean that they're not compatible, they're just not guaranteed to be compatible by Apple. They are, though.

Similar to the old PowerPC I have in my sig -- Apple states that 64MB chips are the maximum size it can use, however, 128MB chips work just fine. It's just that 128MB chips were too expensive and not widely available at the time Apple wrote the specs on the machine.

I have a G4 iBook, 14-inch, 1Ghz that I got in January. I bought a 1GB stick less than 2 weeks ago and it runs fine.
I sold my 512 to a guy who just bought a G4 12, 1GHz and the 512 popped in just fine.

Randman, I know you're a wireless kind a guy, any issue with size and your airport card? Can you post specs of your RAM, including where you got it and how much it cost?

Anyone else with first hand knowledge of putting a gig stick in a tray-loading g4 ibook?

No problems whatsoever. AirPort works fine. I got mine from a guy who was selling it off along with his PB as his work was buying him a PC so I got a pretty good deal on it.

Back