re: cannot eject cd after os 9 install on G4

maw

Registered
I currently have 10.4 running on my G4. I'm new to macs and already got myself into trouble. I installed os9 so I could learn to work in both 10.4 and 9. I installed 0s 9 on a 2nd hard drive that is not the primary drive. Now I cannot eject the cd. The main message is something to the effect that I can't remove a system disk. My main goal is to eject the cd, uninstall os9 and try to install it again. By the way, if/when I ever get the eject the cd, how to (1) uninstall os9 and (2) install os9 properly.

Thank you...have patience

Sounds like you're still booted off of the CD. If you're booted from the OS 9 CD, head to the Apple menu and select Control Panels. Once that opens, you'll see a Startup Disk control panel. Double-click that and then select the disk you want to boot from.

BTW, you can install OS 9 into the main hard drive and then configure the Classic pane in System Preferences in OS X to use that Classic System Folder for Classic mode.

You can also force a disk to eject by holding down the mouse button when you turn on your computer.

Holding the mouse down while starting up worked. I now have my cd in hand and booting into os 10.4

Now I realize I have 2 copies of os9. In my desperation to eject the cd I'm sure I re-installed os9. Next step is to remove one of those copies.

Thanks again!

Back