Recording my voice on my iBook G4 or eMa

Caja63

Registered
Is it possible to record my voice directly to a file on my iBook G4 or eMac so that I can then make a CD to playback later using the software that is original to the machine? I do have Garageband, do I have to buy a recording program?

Garageband will do the work for you. If either of those Macs has an in-built Mic you can use it or you can use an external microphone.

Recording voice in GB is pretty simple:

• Open Audio MIDI setup (in the Utilities folder),
  • Set the default input to the input you want to use (eg: if you're using the built-in mic, set the default input to "Built-In Audio" and under Properties set the source to "Internal Microphone").
  • Launch GB
  • Choose the correct Audio I/O in GB's Prefs (again, "Built-in Audio"), Create a new Real Instrument track (then you can select one of the many vocal presets) and specify which channel you're recording from.
  • As long as that track is selected (highlighted blue) it is primed for recording.

There are no doubt a plethora of 3rd Party apps which can also do this for you if you like ....

For $29.99 (or equivalent) you can upgrade your 'QuickTime' (component of MacOS X) to 'QuickTime Pro'; where, via the 'QuickTime Player' application - you can select the 'File, New Audio Recording' menu item, to present the simplistic 'Audio Recording' window.

Unless you specifically save the recorded audio elsewhere, a default 'Audio.mov' (then 'Audio 1.mov', 'Audio 2.mov', etc.) file will be automatically created on your 'Desktop'.

Once finished recording your audio, you can edit and / or export it (via the 'File, Export...' menu item) to many formats; prior to closing the 'Audio Recording' window.

Also, you can drag previously created 'Audio.mov' files onto 'QuickTime Player' for editing and / or exporting.

Click here for additional information about and tutorials on 'QuickTime Pro'.

You can do it with QuickTime without Pro if you use AppleScript to bypass this limitation.

http://www.macosx.com/forums/apple-...o-play-full-screen-quicktime-without-pro.html

Thank you for this thread. I'm a brand new Apple user and I have precisely the same need that the original member posted about.

Forgive this very newbie question please.

I'm assuming that when I log into my iBook G4 (hoping that there is an internal microphone there, haven't confirmed yet) and go to this link, I will click on the .zip file that I need. Will it be clear what I need to do to "install" or "run" this script once I invoke the .zip file? Does the iBook know what a .zip file is and will it process it correctly? Will this be a one-time install or will I need to do this every time I want to use Quick Time to record using the internal microphone?

Just trying to prepare for a smooth installation of this "upgrade" to Quick Time.

Thanks much from Phoenix, Arizona
Dan

Back