Reinstall questions

pedz

Registered
Hi,

I'm havng problems because I changed my IP address and netinfo is broken. I'm thinking about reinstalling on a second drive. If I do that, will I be able to get Mail to find all my old mail? And how about the mail that has arrived but I have not read yet? Will I be able to get that out somehow?

The reinstall has a couple attractive options. My mac (Server) has a couple quirky problems that I hope will get fixed. Plus it is now really confused by the IP change. I can log in but I can not authenticate to use Server Settings or NetInfo.

Thanks

You'll have to move the contents of the Mail folder (in your present user/Library folder) to the Mail folder in your newly created user/Library on the new partition. You may have to modify the permissions for that folder so Mail can see it. That's a pretty generic statement, but I can't be too specific about how to do that, but others here are more expert at working with permissions and the terminal than I.

What do you mean by a 'broken' netinfo, and what happens if you simply reinstall the 10.2.6 server updater? Maybe one of the Server config utilities will get your network working without having to reinstall everything?
Sounds like your password has been changed for some reason??? You do mean that your password is not working for your account?? Your keychain password may need to be corrected.

Mail's got the built in ability to import old mailboxes, though it's occasionally buggy.

Just make sure you keep all the contents of the old mail folder. When you launch mail on your new machine, fill in all the requested information correctly and then go to file --> import mailboxes and import your old files.

Back