robustness of titanium powerbook

couzteau

Registered
hello,

my 6 months old titanium-powerbook has a couple of hardware problems:
1. the front hatch has a crack:picture
2. the display has white spots:picture

Apple claims that these problem are due to mishandling. i argue that i have not done anything that could be called mishandling, i have never dropped it and handle/transport it with the utmost care.

problem 1 (the crack) seems to be a design problem of the hatch, because simply closing the top must have caused this.

i have no idea what caused problem 2 (the display)

has anyone else similar problems? I'm looking for a strategy to make apple fulfill it's obligation to repair this on warranty.

thanx

couzteau

my lombard powerbook used to get scuff marks on the screen from the keyboard that looked similar to the ones you have. when the lid was closed, the screen actually touched the keys. the white marks would come off when I cleaned the screen though.

nope. that's not the case. i have bright spots that look like they could be caused by the bachground light.

The crack in the case is just the paint coming off the ring that goes around the edge of the case. I have similar defects and also got the run-around from Apple. They claimed it was "normal wear" and refused to repair. This is a very common problem too. To have it repaired would have been high... somewhere around $300 if memory serves. I may try again to force apple to repair as this started within the first 60 days of ownership.

Cheers
Don

i have a similar screen spot although not as pronounced as yours

mine is from a rather violent impact though, a drunken friend didnt see my speaker cable and sent both himself and the open tibook to the ground with extreme prejudice

Ja, i bet if you unscrewed the screen and looked at the back of the internal LCD you would see two little circuits or plugs or something that are right behind those two spots.

I know because someone heavy sat on my Palm and now it has two black spots on the screen. When I took it apart, there were two resistors or something that had pushed onto the screen too hard...

As to the paint I don't know...is it a physical crack or a paint scratch?

the hatch problem is definetly a crack, not paint comin off.

as for the white spots, i don't know what caused it. if some of you have similar problems with the display due to heavy impact, i wonder if my problem is due to an impact that happened before i got it, since i bought it refurbished.

Beleive it or not, on my TI-550/dvd
The screeen started to have a really dark spot right over the place
where the little light of the sleep mode is, I was making it sleep
all the time...

They changed my screen with no other question at my supplier..

Is yours still under some kind of warranty from Apple?
I saw you said it waz refurbished...

-Sighter

same problems here, a crack around the same place and some white marks.

I also believe the crack being a reel crack and not paint coming of. the marks are coming from contact with the keyboard or the edge directly under the KB. Its possible not to have those marks with a piece off paper in between your keyboard and screen when closed (a soft cloth could damage the hinges when in between).

I already got a replacement from apple because of serious cd problems (it scratched cd's). It went 3 times (3weeks each, yes in europe that is) for repairs. The forth time they promised to replace. It took 2 extra phonecalls to get that done, because they forgot. Now I having again probs with the cdrom ... I do take care of it ... but now I trying to install something it scratches again (circular scratches, only after some time in the drive, it also makes a very high pitched sound).

I tired of this, and won't do the extra effort off again calling support and not been taking seriously. Not to speak losing my computer again for several weeks. I'm no longer a happy customer though.

Back