Running OS X on a windows machine

xaub

Registered
Gurus,
I was wondering if there is a possibility to instal os x on a windows machine (since it is unix based). It's maybe a stupid question, but as i dont like apples arrogance and the tendence to only go for cool design, instead to provide portables with all neccesary connectors, this came up in my mind.

FI. The powerbook g4 has not even a sound in, so after spending about 3000 $, you are not able to record with a proffesional microphone...

Thanks for any reactions

Xaub

Just for reference you can use a USB Mic like I do ;)

Also having fought with many a laptop DAC I would say that "profesional" is not a word I would associate with any of them. But then again my wife says I am too auditive...

-Eric

If you wanted to do professional sound wouldn't you want to use something other than through a phono jack?

Recording digitally through USB or firewire sounds more professional to me...

Check this out if you need phono support, great product.

"The audio A/D and D/A circuitry is external from the computer away from noise that degrades audio performance."

Griffin iMic

Originally posted by xaub

FI. The powerbook g4 has not even a sound in, so after spending about 3000 $, you are not able to record with a proffesional microphone...

Thanks for any reactions

Xaub

No intent to flame. I am a professional sound engineer, and mixing engineer. And no one I know on this planet uses the AD/DA of a Powerbook to record "high quality sound".

Pro quality sound (or its mics) uses XLR inputs, and I dun think I have seen any computers which comes with a 3 pin XLR jack.

Just curious what you meant...

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

And the new Powerbook DOES HAVE a minijack Audio in.

Cheers.

Ok, you are al mac addicted, so I am. Using macs sinds 1994.
And of course i'de use a fire wire 96khz sound interface for cristal clear results

But for a internet or cd -rom project, it's too professional in my opinion, because most users loock at it on the computer with crappy speakers dont they?

Anyway, would be nice to buy a pc laptop for halv the money and run osx on it.

cheers, Xaub

Hmm... I don't get this any more. First, of course the new TiBooks have sound-in. Second: Professional audio is great on the Mac (OS 9 and right now coming to OS X) and if you want to create a CD-ROM, you'll want to have good sound, anyway, because whether someone will listen to it on built-in small speakers or a great stereo, there WILL be a difference.

And then, the PowerBook's price is very competitive at the moment, the iBook's even more so.

If you want to buy a cheap PC notebook, do so. And use a decent operating system on it. I don't know whether you'll be pleased enough with Windows 2000 (I wouldn't recommend XP) or RedHat Linux 8.0 Professional, but if you want to use Mac OS X, there is only Apple's hardware that can be used.

And that's quite good hardware indeed. Their notebooks don't only rock in design, but also in performance and usability.

Originally posted by kommakazi
not gonna happen.

Sure gonna happen. Apple recently sent out AMD comps (in generic boxes) with an x86 port of OS X on it. Indeed, if you have access to one of those, you could probably extract Maklar (OSX's x86 port). If you're looking for something official, you're out of luck for still considerable time to come.

Back