Safari 1.2 in software update.

Nevermind, I just noticed that only 1.0 is available for 10.2 on the Safari download page.

How is it that Apple seems to get away with not supporting a slightly more than *year-old* OS? If Microsoft intentionally stopped releasing products for, say, Windows 2000, there'd be massive public outcry. And that's a 4-year old platform.

I don't like this idea of being forced to upgrade *every year*, especially if they're going to charge me full price...

I hope I'm wrong on this and there's a work around. If not, I am very upset at this seemingly trivial change.

Formerly, when you chose to download an image or movie or other file type, you right-clicked and chose Download this... and it automaticaly started dl-ing it to your preferred location.

Now it's a freaking approval window for every single DL! WTF!

Tell me I am missing something and that I'm overreacting. Well, I guess I'm clearly overreacting, but this is insane to me. What is the freaking point of setting a DL preference location if you're going to make me approve it every *$*&#**&*(& time?

I looked in preferences to see if there's something, but I couldn't find it. Anyone else?

This is a terrible decision. There is no reason on earth to force approval on the DL location if one is already chosen in prefs.

To add to the frustration, in 1.1 if you DL-ed a file that had the same file name as something already DL-ed, it just added a "-1" to the file name and DL-ed. No fuss, no muss. Now, because of the approval window you're forced to rename manually if that file name is taken. I've got clients with large image database of genericly named files, so this is going to be a very annoying issue. Hopefully one of these Safari hack-on apps will fix this poor decision.

I will go back to 1.1 in a heartbeat if this is the case. Though eventually I'll be forced to update for one reason or another. Grrrrr.

Try holding down 'option' and clicking the link. This downloads the file immediately to the place of your choice set in the Preferences.

I'd rather tell the file where to go. But that's just me. However it does always default to my downloads folder so it's kinda the same.

And the reload changed? Hummmmm.

I'm glad Safari now asks where to save to, as one couldn't decide that before. Want to download to your default directory? Just click. I guess it's as straight-forward as can only be.

ive ready many articles about users bein mad at the fact that safari1.2 runs only on panther!
well tough luck.
safari 1.1 runs perfectly on jaguar. any future updates *may* require technologies only in panther! and even if safari1.2 could run on jaguar , safari is a software company.
they do want people to upgrade. if you dont like this, user Camino, use Mozilla, use Omniweb. all 3 are perfect browsers !

I'm pleased that Apple addressed the issue of Safari 1.2 features being a result of Pather advances as I was tired of so many Jaguar users whining about this. You paid $129 for the technology advances that Jaguar offerred and you have enjoyed the benefits of that OS. If you want to experience the considerable advances of Panther, then you should pay for those advances. Apple spent a lot of money and time developing the newest features of Panther and I do not understand why people believe they are entitled to experience these benefits for free. What kind of a country is this when people complain about being inconvenienced because things are not given to them for free?

So there are a couple of things Panther has and Jaguar hasn't. I'm not surprised. But why not release Safari 1.2 for Jaguar _minus_ those features that need Panther? I'm quite sure that most users wouldn't even notice those. Whatever Apple says right now, they can't hide the fact that they _want_ to give people who upgraded to Panther some incentives.

But Safari is only one example. What about other applications that lose compatibility with older versions of OS X? These are practises that we all have damned when Microsoft were doing them. I guess after Microsoft got away with it, Apple has learned how to 'optimise'?

I don't think there is any conspiracy afoot and I think it is unreasonable for people to think that Apple is punishing them for not upgrading to the newer operating system. Based on new advances in Panther, Apple was able to release a new version of Safari that takes advantage of these features. Again, people expect Apple to continue investing money in Jaguar, an outdated operating system, and providing new features to them. Jaguar and Safari work just fine without Panther. You got what you paid for. Now if you want the significant innovations and advances of Panther and the new version of Safari BASED ON THOSE PANTHER INNOVATIONS then you need to purchase the new software! Imagine how ridiculous I would sound if I said: "Hey, I bought a 2003 VW jetta for $16,000 and a year later they came out with a new 2004 model with many new features (and that goes faster with less fuel consumption). VW should come back and provide those new features to my car from last year because I paid so much for it." Gimme a break!

fryke said:
So there are a couple of things Panther has and Jaguar hasn't. I'm not surprised. But why not release Safari 1.2 for Jaguar _minus_ those features that need Panther?

They did! It's called Safari 1.1! ;)

Things like a preference about tabbing from link to link? I'm _quite_ sure that's not a Panther thing. A preference about where to open links from other apps? Not a Panther thing, I'm _also_ quite sure of. What else is new? Ah, yes, contextual-menu download to... A Panther 'technology'? I don't think so. These are all functionality updates that can be important to customers. And these could very well be released in an update for Jaguar, too.

No one knows if Apple will release Safari 1.2 for Jaguar, but the way things have been going, I'd say that they will -- just later on. Apple focuses on the here and now, and their most current technology. Then they update the older software.

Zammy, if your Safari is close while your doing the updating... maybe it's because it automatically write to the Safari program... ( i just think...)

reason is because i've changed my Safari icon, during the updating, my Safari icon changed back to the old one... im not 100% sure on this.... just a though...

errmm... forget to add this...

how about the mozilla engine? is it updated? cause im using the HTMLArea code... which require atleast version 1.3... if this not updated... i might have to use firebird instead....

I really like the new version. Its finally made me buy panther, which i'd been putting off for ages. Got the Ed discount so not too pricy either.

re: safari update for Jaguar, I read that 1.2 employs bits of the new BSD from Panther and there won't be a comparable upgrade for Jag folks. It's not just that Apple is abandoning Jag, but the improvements in 1.2 are tied to updates in 10.3.

Least that's what I read at MacWorld. Sorry, I don't have the link.

Back