Safari 3, your first impressions

I don't like it asking me whether I really want to close _this_ tab because I've entered data. It doesn't recognise the fact that I've already submitted it, only that I've entered it. Means I have to do more instead of less. The search is great. Moving tabs around is great as well. Now I want my German localisation and all is well. :)

Is there a way to get it to report script errors? I can't find anything in the Console or the Safari Activity window.
If Safari fails to load a page, how do I know what went wrong?
Normally I'd switch to another browser, but we're testing a database with a browser front-end for the Macs, we know it doesn't currently work on Safari but we'd like it to (currently only works in Firefox 1.5.0), but unless we can find where its falling down thats going to be hard to fix.
Any kind of comprehensive reporting would be useful, is there a plugin I can install?

Anyone? Can there really be no error reporting?

edit: sorry, don't mean to seem impatient. Actually, I don't suppose it matters which version of Safari this applies to...

The activity window (from the Window menu) might provide the info you need.
You can also activate the debug menu, which could be helpful with some page-loading situations, I suppose. I know there's a way to do this from the terminal, but I use Onyx, which has a GUI to enable Safari's debug menu, along with other system settings that can be interesting.

does it happen only to me?
often, safari uses more the 90% of cpu, even if i quit/run
doesn't matter what kind of page i'm browsing, it happens also with blank pages.

for example, look at the screenshot:

safari_1.png

and problem nr. 2, it crashes or shows this error when i try to upload attachment on "attach files" window in this forum:

safari_2.png

I've been watching CPU for Safari 3,.0, and the highest I've seen on my machine, with 6 tabs always open, is 22%.

Maybe completely trashing Safari, it's .plist and move the Safari folder to your Desktop from User/Library, then reinstall.

I've been watching CPU for Safari 3,.0, and the highest I've seen on my machine, with 6 tabs always open, is 22%.

Maybe completely trashing Safari, it's .plist and move the Safari folder to your Desktop from User/Library, then reinstall.
Strange, I'll try as soon as possible.
Thanks.

The thing that I'm enjoying most so far is the new inline find feature. Really makes picking out the results 10 times easier.

Another thing I noticed was when I first installed, text rendering seemed to be slightly sharper than previously. I'm not sure if this is just my eyes or what though, as it hasn't been mentioned in the upgraded feature list as far as I have seen.

On the downside! I've been plagued by numerous 'Safari unexpectedly quit' messages since installing. I know this is still only a beta version but it's irritating never the less.

3mors - if Safari works after that, take your bookmarks.plist file out of the Safari folder on your Desktop and put in the Safari folder in user/library/Safari

The only time safari 3.0 quits on me is with a site that has flash, but not all the time.

On my G5 dual 2.5 with 10.4.9, Safari 3 opens and immediately quits.
Safari 2 works fine, but when I quit it, it crashes.
Thank goodness for BonEcho.

The activity window (from the Window menu) might provide the info you need.
You can also activate the debug menu, which could be helpful with some page-loading situations, I suppose. I know there's a way to do this from the terminal, but I use Onyx, which has a GUI to enable Safari's debug menu, along with other system settings that can be interesting.

Found it thanks:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Now relaunch Safari and check the "Log JavaScript Exceptions" menu item in the Debug menu. In Safari 1.3 and above, select the "Show JavaScript Console" menu item and the JavaScript Console window will open to display JavaScript exceptions. For Safari versions before 1.3, JavaScript exceptions will appear in the Console application (/Applications/Utilities/Console).

Safari 1.3 and above supports explicit logging of arbitrary information - similar to Objective-C NSLog() - function by using window.console.log() in your JavaScript. All messages are routed to the JavaScript Console window and show up nicely in a dark green, to easily differentiate themselves from JavaScript exceptions.

3mors
I don't mean to be ignorant, but I am. Could you please tell me what the utility is on the right side of your screen shot, and will it work on my G5 10.3.9.
Thanks for anything
Sam

That is the iStat Pro widget, which is a Dashboard widget. Won't work on 10.3.9, but will work with your G5 if you upgrade to Tiger (OS X 10.4.x)

3mors - if Safari works after that, take your bookmarks.plist file out of the Safari folder on your Desktop and put in the Safari folder in user/library/Safari

The only time safari 3.0 quits on me is with a site that has flash, but not all the time.
I've tried as you said and I've found that the problem is with my bookmarks.
I have 22 RSS feeds and about 50 other bookmarks.
Could be this the problem?

Could be a bookmark or feed. Doubt it's the number of bookmarks thought. I have 100's of bookmarks and no problems.

I also use a script to quit Safari that deletes the Cache at the same time.
I keep the icons folder empty and locked so no site icons can be added.

Back