Safari Bookmarks Confusion

applesupergeek

Registered
Hey guys, I 've been using safari solely for quite some time after deciding to abandon my beloved opera (only for reasons of cross device bookmark syncing…) and I am having a hard time getting the grip of the bookmarks. Apple's system is ok, but it's a bit quirky, I like the fact that it's not bloated as in say firefox, but it could use some improvements.

Ok, so here's where I am having a hard time:

On the left sidebar there are collections and bookmarks. Why can't I click on bookmarks so they appear on the right side category (making them easier to re-arrange) as I can with bookmarks Bar and Bookmarks menu.

What on earth is the point of having the bookmarks menu and the Bookmarks separate, shouldn't bookmarks appear on the menu for easy access, which the point in having a separate category as Bookmarks besides the Bookmarks menu which doesn't correspond to anything and can only be accessed by clicking the "book icon" on the toolbar…

As an aside I d like to ask if anyone of you knows any good safari add on /enhancer that will allow me to have icons on bookmark folders, and have the actual bookmarks appear with their signature icon of the left, I know there's glens (sp.?) which is pretty nice but doesn't do this.

Thanks!

If you want to access a bookmarks folder from your Bookmarks menu, or your Bookmarks bar, (while you are in Show All Bookmarks) simply click on Bookmarks bar (or Bookmarks menu) and drag your desired folder from the left-column Bookmarks to the right side for viewing or editing.

I haven't tried many of the 'enhancement' utilities for Safari, so I don't know about applying an icon to a bookmarks folder.

The reason for having a bookmarks menu in addition to a bookmarks tab is that Mac OS does not support the idea of changing things around in menus. The menu bar is under the control of the operating system, not the application. If you want to edit bookmarks you need to do that from the bookmarks tab in Safari. If you merely want to call up a different page, the menu is much handier for doing that.

Curiosity - that's 'curious', and not too accurate.
Show All Bookmarks (under the menubar) is one way to edit the bookmarks menu, the bookmarks bar, and the rest of Safari associated with bookmarks and Safari tabs - in conjunction with Safari's preferences. As part of that, you may change the position of bookmarks, move from the menu to the bookmarks bar, and vice versa. You can move complete bookmarks folders to tabs, and change the settings so that clicking on a bookmarks bar item that will open all items in that folder with tabs for each.
Curiousity - you should try some of the various bookmark and tab configurations before you offer the suggestion that some feature is not supported. The Safari help files can give you some pointers for configuring some of those settings, and changing the order of either the bookmarks menu, or the bookmarks bar.

You are not editing from the menu if you open the bookmarks tab from "Show All Bookmarks". You cannot delete bookmark items from the menu, or move them around. You need to open the bookmarks tab, which is what you just described.

Hey guys thanks for the replies, appreciate it!

The question of course still lingers as to why not have all the bookmarks appear on the menu as well and have them separate, ff and opera don't act this way. I am sure there is a usability rationale but I dont get it.

And what about syncing, which of these get synced via mobile me to the iphone? Is the bookmarks bar ignored, or the bookmarks menu? Because if so I would be disappointed.

And anyone who's tried some icons for folders with an add on or something give us a shout!

Last edited:

And what about syncing, which of these get synced via mobile me to the iphone? Is the bookmarks bar ignored, or the bookmarks menu? Because if so I would be disappointed.

Why didn't you check for yourself? At any rate, all bookmarks get synched—every single one of them.

because I want other people to do work for me...what kind of question is that? I was asking this because I already DID check but I was unsuccessful, I am getting a mobile me error message that bookmarks are incompatible and I have to reset, but no matter how I ve tried resetting between macs, mobileme and the iphone, syncing doesn't work and thus I am trying now to just get them all in one place and then sync from there, that's why it's important to know what syncs where and if something like the bar syncs effectively with the iphone.

iTunes is your iPhone management tool. Did you use iTunes to tell MobileMe which data to sync with your iPhone?

Yes I did, but I haven't synced itunes with a mac for a month or so what with me having issues with music files missing from one library to the next, I should get the libraries sorted out today and re-sync, maybe that will fix the bookmarks issue.

Although I know for sure bookmakrs for the iphone are synced over the air not via connecting to itunes because for a week or so they did without connecting iphone to mac and then syncing, before the system broke down.

In any case I did verify that bookmarks, bookmarks menu, and bar get synced with the iphone (theoretically not practically so far for me) so I guess one either creates an "iphone bookmarks folder" to keep specific to iphone bookmarks or let's iphone share all bookmarks folders for macs.

Back