Scratched Tiger CD??? please help

The Mac

Registered
I have a tiger cd i got from a friend but its sorta scratched. Dose anyone know if it safe or ok to try to install into my g3? Like if i install it and it freezes or something i can still boot to my 10.3.9 that is already on it? thanks!

Check out the board rules and you'll understand why we can't help you with this problem. Best bet would be to purchase a full retail version of Tiger online or a retail upgrade disc of Tiger that would upgrade you from 10.3.9 to 10.4.x.

Sorry.

'Dose anyone know if it safe or ok to try to install into my g3?' - Insert the 'DVD' disc (unless you really have the set of 'Tiger' CDs - which you would then insert 'Install Disc 1'), and reboot the G3 Mac with the 'option' key pressed. If the DVD is displayed within the list of boot-able volumes - there is a good chance that the installation is possible.

'Like if i install it and it freezes or something i can still boot to my 10.3.9 that is already on it?' - no. You should however back up your currently working operating system, and related application installations, onto another hard disk drive - using 'Carbon Copy Cloner' (freeware), 'SuperDuper' (freeware / shareware), etc. Only then you can return the internal hard disk drive to its former (working) state - should the recent 'Tiger' installation attempt fail.

---

The above reply is based on the assumption that you currently have 'Tiger' installed on the G3 Mac, and require re-installation of the operating system - and have access to another persons' 'retail' 'Tiger' installation disc, due to the inability to locate your own 'retail' 'Tiger' installation disc.

'Dose anyone know if it safe or ok to try to install into my g3?' - Insert the 'DVD' disc (unless you really have the set of 'Tiger' CDs - which you would then insert 'Install Disc 1'), and reboot the G3 Mac with the 'option' key pressed. If the DVD is displayed within the list of boot-able volumes - there is a good chance that the installation is possible.

'Like if i install it and it freezes or something i can still boot to my 10.3.9 that is already on it?' - no. You should however back up your currently working operating system, and related application installations, onto another hard disk drive - using 'Carbon Copy Cloner' (freeware), 'SuperDuper' (freeware / shareware), etc. Only then you can return the internal hard disk drive to its former (working) state - should the recent 'Tiger' installation attempt fail.

---

The above reply is based on the assumption that you currently have 'Tiger' installed on the G3 Mac, and require re-installation of the operating system - and have access to another persons' 'retail' 'Tiger' installation disc, due to the inability to locate your own 'retail' 'Tiger' installation disc.

I believe the original poster mentioned whether it's possible to go back to the previous OS on the Mac which was said to be 10.3.9. The original poster is looking to upgrade from that to Tiger using a friend's disc.

Back