Search Entire Message not working in Mai

gtackett

Registered
I'm using a PowerPC G5 dual 2GHz with OS X V10.5.8 with all updates installed that have been released as of this date.

I've looked at a number of other topics here and elsewhere and have tried a number of ways to get this to work:

I tried using Onyx and one or two other system tools that offer the ability to rebuild the Spotlight indexes. (I've made sure that Spotlight is enabled on the volume where my mail folders live, of course.)

I've also tried that from a Terminal window:
<p> <code>$ sudo mdutil -E</code>.

I tried the following command to force the mail message files to be reimported: <p><code>$ mdimport -r /System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter</code>

...all to no effect. And repairing permissions and then repeating any of the above doesn't help.

Do you have any other suggestions?

It could be that Spotlight was (or is) busy indexing. Searching Entire Messages doesn't work while Spotlight is indexing. Sometimes Mail.app will get confused though, if Spotlight was indexing when you launched Mail.app, and won't let you search until you've quit and relaunched Mail.app.

By the way: cross posting in several forums is considered bad form on this board, so please refrain from that in the future...

Back