Serious Connection Problems

moofdaddy

Registered
Okay, I have posted this a couple of times and sort of got helped but its not enough, I really want to solve the problem because the solution only kind of helps.

My problem is that my mac will not access certain websites. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to which sites load and which don't. The notable ones are sites like penny-arcade, adbrite.com, alexa.com, wikiafterdark.com, wannawiki.com.

Now when I say these sites won't load, I mean they are broken accross the board. They won't run in firefox, they won't run in Safari. Here is what I get when I try loading them...

Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.alexa.com

I get the same thing in Safari. When I ping the server in terminal I get...

PING alexa.com (209.237.238.100): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host
ping: sendto: No route to host

I can't connect to these sites via SSH or FTP. My girlfriend on the other hand can connect to them from the same apartment wireless connection on her PC with no problem. When I went on vacation to Georgia and to Pennsylvania I had the same problem.

The one way I was sort of able to fix this was by adding a proxy. I connect through
sydney.cache.telstra.net

but this only helps with web traffic (and its crazy slow). The sites I run, wikiafterdark and wannawiki I can't access to update them via SSH or FTP, so this has become a huge problem. I know that the problem lies somewhere in my computer. It can't be a problem with teh router because the problem persists on different routers and on direct connection. It tells me it can't connect so fast that I am thinking it must be a problem in one of my config issues.

I lost my restore disks during my last move so I can't even reinstall. Please, someone I beg for a solution to this mess.

the ftp software, what are you running?, this can have an effect, if the ports are being redirected...also sounds as if you have a nat issue.

Best think to do is reply giving a brief rundown of ports, firewall and ftp software, also any software that has ftp thats built in I.E flash ect.

the ftp software, what are you running?, this can have an effect, if the ports are being redirected...also sounds as if you have a nat issue.

Best think to do is reply giving a brief rundown of ports, firewall and ftp software, also any software that has ftp thats built in I.E flash ect.

The ftp software I run is Transmit and I also occasionally run cyberduck. If it were a problem with any of these things it wouldn't have been a sudden onset one because I've used them for awhile. The problem persists when i have no ftp clients open as well.

I have no idea how to tell what ports OS x is blocking or not blocking. But I am pretty convinced the problem lies within my computer. As I mentioned over the last few months I have had this problem I have controlled for almost all other variables. I have been on vacation and still had the problem. This means different isps, different modems, routers, etc. I have plugged directly into the modem as well.

can you run a trace route, then reply back with the results to let me have a look. Also have you used a proxy on any of the web browsers, even if its switched off?

Here's the traceroute...

traceroute to alexa.com (209.237.238.100), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
traceroute: sendto: No route to host
1 traceroute: wrote alexa.com 40 chars, ret=-1
*traceroute: sendto: No route to host
traceroute: wrote alexa.com 40 chars, ret=-1
*traceroute: sendto: No route to host
traceroute: wrote alexa.com 40 chars, ret=-1

and yes, I am currently using a proxy which does solve the problem to a point. I am using it in safari. The reason I want to fix the underlying problem is becuase the proxy is slow and because I don't have an FTP proxy and I need to be able to access my site.

Just thought I would mention, someone on the apple boards figured out the problem for me. It was PeerGaurdian. I uninstalled that and everything works like a charm now.

Back