Serious crash - 10.3.5 brand new eMac

Jimbolgs

Registered
Bought an eMac last week and used the firewire feature to send all my old pismo powerbook infor to the new machine.

Great I thought, 'til it started crashing.

This morning before work it crashed - dumping a load of code on screen. Couldn't get it to restart for ages - it would just crash on startup.

When I eventually did get it to start, I couldn't load any programs so I decided to bite the bullet and re-format - start from scratch.

Trouble is, I can't get it to start from the "restore" dvd or even a 10.3 install CD I had lying around.

It just crashes on startup.

Can anyone give me any tips?

I've tried srarting up holding 'c' button down and also switching startup disk to the CD / DVD in the drive.

Did you install any 3rd party memory? Do you have the hardware cd that came with your mac? Try booting with this...

Do you think it'll be ok after that?

If I:

a) remove the memory

b) start from scratch

c) put the memory back in

If its a problem with the memory, you need to get a new memory stick. Nothing else will help. So do what diablojota said, remove the memory and restart, see if any crashes occur. If there are none, its a good chance that you have a bad memory stick and it needs to be replaced.

Crazy

Removed the memory, stared up - no probs.

Shut down - replaced the memory - started up no-probs.

Won't format now - wait and see how it behaves - thanks for help.

Had the same thing happen to my Powerbook after I installed another 512MB chip... The first one I put in allowed me to start up, but it would crash after ~20 minutes (probably when the system finally hit the memory I installed). I swapped it in 3 times before I got one that worked consistently. One helpful trick to see if the memory is bad is to start from the DVD that came with the system and hold down the option key just after turning on the system. The machine will boot into an OS9 looking set-up, select the hardware test option and run that on your system. The more extensive test will take longer, but it may find issues with the memory better than the quick test. This is how I found out that my memory was bad and how I confirmed that the stick I am using now works.

Back