settings for network devices

jeno

Registered
Hi,

I have 4 Xserve file servers and 4 application servers (2 PC, 2 Mac) serving 500 users on both Mac and PC. I thank that network diagram that I've design is fine but I am suffering slow down. I am not I've missed some setting on the switches, router or on the server.

any thought?

Thanks & Regards.

I thank that network diagram that I've design is fine but I am suffering slow down. I am not I've missed some setting on the switches, router or on the server.

any thought?

My thought is that you haven't given us nearly enough information to even begin to suggest anything at all.

We don't know what your network diagram looks like. We don't know what system software you're using. We don't know what your switches and routers look like. We don't even know what "slow down" means on your network.

You will need to elaborate... greatly... before we can even begin to troubleshoot.

Sorry for my ignorance. Its quite a long story and I doesn't know where should I began.

Ok, here it goes. I have a main switch (HP ProCurve 2810-48G) which every sub switches will connect to and users is connected through the sub switches. The server is hook up directly to the main switch and the router is also hook up directly to the main switch. Internet connection is hook up to the router and than the main switch.

The file server is where everyone will have access to, it only stores file. The application server is running Portfolio and some admin/finance application.

The slow down is where when user try to copy files into the server or from the server, it keep spinning and took a long time to copy. I have a 1000GB network, it took about 35-40 minutes to copy a 1GB of file which I don't think it make sense.

Hope this help.

Thanks.

What happens if a client machine is connected to the main switch that the server is connected to, rather than through a sub-switch? Do you see increased speed that way?

If so, then there's likely a conflict or something happening with the connections of the sub-switches. Ensure that, if you have "managed" switches, that they're set to the correct settings for each switch -- things such as full- or half-duplex, the speed (100Mbit, 1000Mbit, etc.), etc.

Well when you put in the new switch did you replace the old Ethernet cables to CAT6 yet?

I don't have enough port on the main switch to put user on.

nop, I didn't replace the cable

Well you are running into the classic System Admin lack of networking knowledge.

You have to learn the differences between either cables.

1. Cat 5 & Cat 5E: 10 Base T & 100 Base T

2. Cat 6: 1000 Base T

Now when tech shops buy new switch the first spec they should look for is the Base T speed in relation to the switches, router and workstations.
the classic mistake is upgrading all the networking equipment but not the cables or the old workstations. So make sure you have done none of these classic mistakes.

What is the ping time from the server to the file server? Does the server show it has the 1000 Base T connection? What protocol are you transferring with (afp, smb, etc)?

Sorry guys, I know this has been a while but been busy.

We are in a mixed environment of Windows PC and Mac, we do used both AFP and SMB. The ping time is about 0.5 ms in average. After a few month of observation (and reading), I suspect that the whole network structure were not properly setup (DNS, host, domain...etc) and the other problem is that the file server itself also not properly setup. I am looking for a quick way out thats why I started this thread http://macosx.com/forums/networking-compatibility/311844-network-strorage-setup.html

Back