Sharing a cable modem connection

Jimbolgs

Registered
I've searched everywhere for the answer to this but found nothing exact. You are my last resort and probably best too.

The setup at the moment is a powerbook running Panther, a router and a cable modem. I connect wirelessly using a d-link usb thing to the d-link router which is connected to the cable modem.

All works fine but my flat mate wants a Pismo the same as mine (good choice) so he's getting one this week and we want to share the internet connection.

He will use cable to connect to the router and I will continue wireless.

Now, the ISP is NTL (UK) does anyone know how to set up for both of us to connect?

What will happen if we both just plug into the router and try to surf?

Thanks in advance!

Well, you seem to already have the equipment! A router acts like the computer when connecting to you ISP. Then the router serves out it own IP's (and does dome other stuff). Your flat mate should be able to plug right into the router and all should be good. :D

Plus, maybe you should go to the router's web site and read up on it. If your connecting wireless that's cool. However, if you didn't lock down your router (so YOU control who logs on), then other people are probably already using your connection doing who knows what. The lock down is called WEP. The router's manufacture might give it there own name but it does the same thing. I can't stress enough about keeping your wireless setup SAFE! This lock down will let you directly control who can log onto the the router via wireless (as well as who can plug into the router ethernet ports).

I tried switching WEP on but then I couldn't connect.

In the router setup (D-Link 514) I have the option of 64 or 128bit. Let's say I select 64 bit - it asks me to enter 10 HEX characters.

So if I enter "ABCDE12345"

What would I put in the wireless setup on my system palette?

If I switch WEP on there, and select "40 bits hex (10 digits)" then enter the same it says incorrect WEP key.

I'm quite experienced in terms of computing and networking but I just don't understand - mac stuff (networking) is usually simple.

When you generate the WEP key, on your computer you enter in the key that was generated. I personally use the 128-bit key, it's a nice long number that I had to write down and got wrong a few times. :)

*edit*

My Airport config says the the 40-bit is a 128-bit WEP password to maybe you need to use 128-bit. I have the options of "WEP Password", "WEP 40/128-bit hex", "WEP 40/128-bit ASCII" and some others, I don't remember which I used but it was probably the first one and entered in the key that was generated as the password.

Back