Sharing a folder on mac (panther)

LogicMan

Registered
Hello,
I have a mac on a network with a couple of other pc's. Currently, when i connect to the mac from the pc, i just see my home dir shared. I want other directories to be shared also. Right clickin on a mac folder does not give me any options to share that folder..

any help is appreciated..
thanks.

This is typically a feature (sharing mutliple folders, custom folders, etc.) that is reserved for servers, like Mac OS X Server. It's easily possible to do this with regular Mac OS X with programs like SharePoints, but Apple doesn't provide a GUI for configuring this.

I know it all sounds kinda silly for them to be doing that, but Windows does it as well, and when you think of all the thousands of little UNIX applications that reside on your machine that you never even use, it makes more sense that Apple doesn't make a GUI for everything, and keeps it simple. If Apple included everything, well, then Mac OS X would probably look more like the mess that Linux is.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I know it all sounds kinda silly for them to be doing that, but Windows does it as well, and when you think of all the thousands of little UNIX applications that reside on your machine that you never even use, it makes more sense that Apple doesn't make a GUI for everything, and keeps it simple. If Apple included everything, well, then Mac OS X would probably look more like the mess that Linux is.

It doesnt have to be a gui. Just an "Sharing" option when you cntr+click!

I got it working by editing the smb.conf file under /private/etc and adding the folder(s) i wanted to share with everyone.

LogicMan said:
It doesnt have to be a gui. Just an "Sharing" option when you cntr+click!

If you're not typing it in the Terminal, then it'd be part of the GUI! ;)

Glad to hear you got it working... We've got a copy of OS X Server, and the ability to set up and share almost any volume, folder or device via a nice GUI is a real boon. Maybe we can hope for something in Tiger that would allow the client version of OS X to do this... as home users' needs expand, this would probably be somewhere in the top requested features.

Playing the devil's advocate here for a sec...

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I know it all sounds kinda silly for them to be doing that, but Windows does it as well

Windows has had multiple folder sharing built into their GUI for years, in both server and client forms. This entire problem stemmed from LogicMan looking for the right click option he was used to under Windows.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
and when you think of all the thousands of little UNIX applications that reside on your machine that you never even use, it makes more sense that Apple doesn't make a GUI for everything, and keeps it simple. If Apple included everything, well, then Mac OS X would probably look more like the mess that Linux is.

Linux, in its purest form, doesn't even come with a GUI. How does Linux include "everything"? Unless you've got some bloatware n00b distro like Mandrake, Linux only contains the bare-bone features needed to install other software. And it's a sure good thing that OS X is based on Unix underpinnings or LogicMan wouldn't have been able to do what he just did.

Back