Should I change /tmp write access rights?

paradoxchild

Registered
When I run the Adobe GoLive 6 Dynamic Site Wizard PHP Troubleshooting Report, I get the following error...

---
Failed: session.save_path setting is wrong.

Description: This test checks that the directory into which PHP writes its session data is present and that this application can write temporary files in it. Web applications that depend on session data will not function correctly if this directory is not writable.

To remedy: change the php.ini session.save_path setting to the name of a directory that exists and is writable.
---

Instead of changing session.save_path, I thought that maybe I could change the permissions for /tmp some how, which is the PHP default for session.save_path. However, I don't know if this would cause any problems or even how this would be done. I am pretty new to UNIX.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

I would be really interested in this as well... I would like to try out GoLives PHP/MySQL aptitude.

Hi,

I would be very cautious, bordering on complete aversion, with respect to changing the permissions of /tmp. The permissions on that directory, while not necessarily crucial, are important, as many unix utilities expect a certain permissions level on that directory. Heh, in general, if you see a directory with the 'sticky bit' permission ('--t'), it's safe to say there is voodoo and black magic nearby.

So, why not just change the path that your app uses -- pick a directory either under your user's home, or if this needs to be shared, in /Users/Shared.

Oops, I accidently changed this without thinking, now I can't remember what the OS X default is for the directory "/private/tmp". If someone could simply check in Terminal to see what the permissions are, I would much appreciate it. "ls -ld /private/tmp" not "ls -ld /tmp", as this doesn't yield the same permission settings...at least not since I changed them. :(

Back