Should it stay or should it go.

Inline_guy

Dockboy
So this is what I am looking to do. I bought my first Mac with the flat screen. I did not know how to use 9 and did not care to learn so I took extra care to not get any program that required 9.

So I have been thinking, and I think I want to get rid of nine. But how? And will it cause problems that I do not know about? I am buying a printer and scanner soon (not sure which one) but will have a problem getting it to work without 9?

Thanks guys.

Matthew

9 Will not make X any more or less effective. The only thing you will miss out on are apps that run in the Classic layer because there is no X support from the developers yet (some certain scanners/printers/etc).

Come this Sunday, I will finally have a copy of Photoshop 7 and I will be extremely happy to finally retire Classic. I may even trash the entire "OS 9 Apps" and "System Folder" folders. (After DMGing them first for future reference.. just in case.)

Good riddance. Photoshop 6 is the only reason I even need to launch Classic now. Bring it on, Photoshop 7!

to get rid of os 9, just drag and drop the os 9 system folder to the trash and empty without classic running. that being said, i would ask why not just leave it unless you are really jonesing for drive space. it isn't hurting anything and there may be an occassion you find it useful. like as an alternate boot sytem if you have corruptions or other problems with os x. i primarily use 9 for repairs and a few apps that i haven't or can't upgrade but i would leave it on at least one of my drives 'just in case' even if i never actually used it on a regular basis. unfortunately, classic is not dead and there are still some apps that are os 9 only. you may find that you would like to use one of them sooner or later as well.

but that's just my opinion

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
to get rid of os 9, just drag and drop the os 9 system folder to the trash and empty without classic running. that being said, i would ask why not just leave it unless you are really jonesing for drive space. it isn't hurting anything and there may be an occassion you find it useful. like as an alternate boot sytem if you have corruptions or other problems with os x. i primarily use 9 for repairs and a few apps that i haven't or can't upgrade but i would leave it on at least one of my drives 'just in case' even if i never actually used it on a regular basis. unfortunately, classic is not dead and there are still some apps that are os 9 only. you may find that you would like to use one of them sooner or later as well.

but that's just my opinion

That's the only reason 9 is hanging around on my HD. I was going to trash it but once I started looking at how much space it takes up I decided to keep it. I think I can spare 200 MB when I have around 100 GB available! :D

I still keep OS 9 around myself... but look at my machine. If I want to game, I can't do that too well under X when my V5 doesn't get acceleration. Lineage is a rather good MMORPG, charged fair prices, and worked great on this machine... but I still play Oni, Diablo 2, Summoner, Descent 3 and the like which need some heavy acceleration that the V5 just can't provide under X.

But that is just my system, which IS getting old, and IS unsupported by Apple. Still, 6 years and still ticking away with all engines running games with higher 'required' specs. Soon I will be able to put this G4 upgrade I have into it and watch it gain some more life (a year or two).

What people need or should do really comes down to what that person needs. We can't tell you /YES/ you should keep it, or /NO/ get rid of it. Sounds like you have managed to avoid Classic pretty well so far, and if you keep it up, I don't see why you couldn't trash it. Of course, I don't see why you couldn't keep it.

Hence the whole reason for me just stating that 9 doesn't add or remove anything from X's abilities. 9 and X are only linked enough to boot 9 inside X. Delete 9, and X will only lose Classic. Delete X, and you will only lose your stable X system, as 9 will still run.

Back