Shutdown vs. Logout

royarz

Registered
I'm running 10.3.6 on my 2 year old I Mac G4. I don't know if it is just a coincidence but since updating to .6 my system is treating any type of shutdown as a "logout" and requires password to get back on. This is true whether I choose "logout" "shutdown" or "restart" from the apple menu. I've checked and the proper boxes are selected (or not selected) both on the Login options and Security. I can choose "automatically log in as" to get around the problem but of course this defeats the login security.

I repaired permissions and checked HD for errors.

Any ideas?

I am confused. If you have a password, it will require you to enter that password, as part of the security.

It's acting just like it should.

The computer will not require a password to shutdown or restart the computer from the login screen.

It also should not require a password to shutdown or restart the computer while logged in... however, if there happens to be another user logged in (via Fast User Switching or whatnot) then a password may be required -- I can't check this as I don't use FUS.

Are you the admin user for the computer, and are there other accounts on the computer?

to rbb- I think you will find a distinct difference between "Logout" and either "Shutdown" or "Restart." Unless you have opted to require such under "security", which I have not, you should not need password to start up. Why else would you have 3 choices for shutting down under Apple Menu. I have never, until recently, had to use password to start except if chose to Logout. And I shut down every night.

El Diablo Co Caca- Yes, I am the admin., I don't use FUS either and I am alone on this computer.

When you shutdown, you are automatically logged out, you have to log in upon reboot. Every system I have worked on is the same way.

Have you checked your account settings to see if the "Automatically log in as" check box has unchecked itself. Or do you mean that by selecting shutdown or restart it just logs out and doesn't shutdown or restart?

Back