size of the new 17" powerbook?

ekramer

Registered
I just ordered a new 17" powerbook but am extremely worried about the size of this thing.

I think I'd rather have a 15" box but its not updated yet. The 17 inch book is only 2 inches wider and just a tiny bit deeper than the 15...

What do people think about carrying something around with this extra width.. do you think it will be rediculous?

i think its big. but i ordered one. he he he. it depends on where u go and what u use it for.
i want it to move from university to my home :) so i dont really mind.

but if i had a Dual powermac right now. (cause i have a 933mghz powermac for now) . i would buy the 12inch PB. its small. and very easy to move around with. and cute.haha:)

well i use it at work and at home...

at home i have a pc with a 18 inch lcd display...

so this will be my only mac.. just sold my ibook as i wanted to upgrade to a powerbook anyway....

the problem was just deciding between the old 15 and the new 17

I see 17" as the point where I could see myself abandoning the desktop. Think of it this way: an iMac 17" display stuck on a laptop. No performance sacrifice for most things, at least for me. It still fits on the average lap, and now even more people have reason to be jealous as they look and see that you have an easier time multitasking on your big-screen laptop!

i guess the size is relative to what you're used to working on. when i got a TiBook for the first time, i didnt think it was all that big. i took it with me with no problems.

i later abandoned it for a 12" iBook and though the iBook was tiny in comparison, ie, it fit on my desk a lot better taking up less surface area and was easy to travel with.

i got a great deal on another TiBook so i abandoned my iBook for it. the first thing i thought when i got it was that it was freakin huge. it was a pain in the ass to carry around to unlike the iBook. the 15" widescreen makes it worth it though and i think that'll be the same case for the 17" widescreen PBook if a 17" widescreen is what you really need.

as long as you dont need a portable that you will be constantly traveling with, ie, from school and back daily, i think the 17" would be fine. otherwise, lugging such a large, unflexable object in a backpack or car might get to be a hassle after awhile.

since all the powerbooks are about the same thickness, the greatest selling point for me is the screen size and resolution. it may be different for you though.

another thing i liked about my iBook is that it fit in the documents compartment in my Tahoo.

i guess a 17inch PB could also be used to replace a desktop. its very powerful . where as a 12inch PB could me kinda small for dedicated mac users:)

Don't forget you can use an external monitor with all PB's. So if you think the 12" is too small, use an extra monitor at home and / or at work. The only drwback would then be the small screesize when you're really on the road ... but in that case I don't really know if you want to have such a big laptop as the 17": think about using in in the backseat of your car, an airplane, a train. If you're not travelling first class, you'll probably enjoy the smallness of the 12" more than the screen estate of the 17"!

well I would carry it to and from work EVERYDAY.... however i don't carry any bags at all... in fact this would be all i carried in a thin sleeve case (as soon as marware comes out with their new sportfolio case)

Back