Slideshow screensaver - "selected folder contains no pictures"

videoflyer

Registered
My wife is still using an ancient G4 desktop machine with a paltry 20GB hard drive. Our financial situation's a bit rough right now so instead of buying a new computer she just wants more room for her files. In order to give her (a LOT) more space, I purchased an inexpensive external Seagate.

We moved her Pictures and iTunes folders over to the external and everything looks just fine. Redirected iTunes and it sees and plays all music and podcasts, no problem. But when I redirected her screensaver slideshow to the Pictures folder on the Seagate, all we get is a black screen and the message "the selected folder contains no pictures."

The picture files ARE there and open with no problems in the Finder and in all sorts of applications including Preview and Graphic Converter. But the screensaver won't recognize any images there at all for some reason.

I trashed the screensaver preference file so that a new one was created but that hasn't fixed the issue. But moving some of the images back to her internal drive and selecting THAT folder results in those images being seen without complaints.

Is the screensaver incapable of recognizing picture folders on external volumes? I'm having trouble finding any information online that addresses this.

Thanks in advance,
Neal

I can get screensaver to read a folder on my external just by adding the Folder using the "+" selection at the bottom of the screensaver pref window.

Yeah, that's essentially exactly what I did (only her operating system is Tiger since her Mac's a PowerPC). In Tiger, there was no '+' button but there IS a choice at the bottom of the list of screensavers to "Pick a folder" (or something to that effect). I selected the folder on the external drive and got the message that there were no pictures.

Ok now I've just fired up my old G4 iBook running Tiger.
The selection of a folder does work, at least for me.
The fact that you keep getting "no pictures found" tells me that your system is still looking at the original Pictures location, where you've moved all the pictures from.
When you select a new folder location your selection should go somewhat like this...
Drive->users->username->Pictures (or whatever folder you choose.)
Only the very first selection "Drive" is made from the lefthand column all the rest are made from the righthand columns.
If this does not help then I'm out of suggestions.

Back