SLOT LOADING iMAC WILL NOT START UP!!

archipelago

Registered
My dad has a slot loading iMac DV. I upgraded him from 10.2.1 to 10.2.6. I also installed iChat AV and iTunes 4 for him. Shortly after I did so, it froze up. Now he can't start it up. He gets a folder icon on the screen with a question mark in it. I told him to try to hold down X when booting, but he said that just gave him a flashing blue earth?? I would like to keep reinstalling Jaguar from the disks as a last option, is there any other solutions to this problem?? Please help!

try zapping the pram by holding down 'open apple - option - p - r' ...i think thats it anyways, if that doesnt work you can try booting from an os 9 cd and select the startup disk from there(to boot from a cd hold down 'c' at boot)

which CD should I use of OS 9 to boot from? The one labled System Restore disk? I've never had to do this before... We tried to use the system restore disk, but OS X would not come up in the startup disk preferences.

Wipe out the installation and start from scratch with the System Restore disc, verify that it is completely updated (including any firmware updates!), then install Jaguar and update that completely.

Report back when done.

god damnit i hate this one...
you either messed up the hard drive and need a new one, or you overloaded it with too much junk...
try reinstalling Jaguar... if he needs classic throw that on there too.
if that dont work, then get a new hard drive, or order an oversized cheese grater :p

Originally posted by MaC hAcKeR
or you overloaded it with too much junk...

Wow, filling up my hard drive will prevent me from seeing the drive? I know filling up root isn't a good idea, but... =)

I've filled up my skimpy pathetic 13 gig hard drive more than once...
And I watch it now... I don't have my CD drive anymore so no more reformatting for me.

Back