Slow desktop load time & bouncing icons!

TheMagicTramp

Registered
When i hit my desktop (after log in) it takes at least 2 minutes to become fully functional. It seems like its struggling. I hit the finder icon in my dock, or the firefox icon, and they just bounce... and bounce... and bounce.....

Then, the system sort of sorts itself out. It works fine. From then on my system is screamingly fast.

What the hell is the problem? Ive repaired disk permissions, and only have two log in items!

Running Unibody Macbook pro 2.53GHZ, 4GB Ram.

Thanks!

Hey, sometimes it takes a few hours for someone to reply - no need to be so aggresive!

Things to consider:-
-Hard drive space - you need to leave 10-15% free for swap else things slow down a lot.
-You say its slow when you log in - is that after startup? Ob modern macs it rarely necessary to shut them down - just close the lid! I only really shutdown for flights now and restart for installs - and have hand multiple months without a shutdown and no problem.
-Activity Monitor (Launch this, its in Applications/Utilities). In the main window make sure the dropdown at the top is set to 'all processes' then sort the list by CPU usage. Is there any process taking up very large amounts of CPU? If so let us knwo what it is.
-Bad shutdown. After a crash/bad shutdown sometimes things slow down. Sometimes an SMC reset and a pram reset can help.
-You say you have two login items, what are they? Might just be a very slow one.

Finally is it slower than it has been before? The system does tend to be a bit unresponsive just after boot while it runs the various login stuff.

Please stay polite here, people give up their time to help others and don't tend to appreciate being called names.

Back