Smart urls in safari

Perishingflames

Registered
I was wondering if there was a way to enable or add the functionality (safari extensions?) of Firefox's url bar to Safari. For example, in firefox if I want to go to the myspace page for example of the band Cynic, I would just type "myspace cynic" in the address bar and it would take me right to the page. In basic, it treats incomplete urls as a google searches, feeling lucky. Is it possible to do this in safari 5?

Thanks

Here's the solution in case anyone's interested:

Install SIMBL, which lets you hack safari.
Install keywurl, a safari plugin that lets you setup searches via the address bar. Open its settings and for the google search (keyword=defaut, which basically means you don't type a keyword) add &btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky to the end.

What it does is if the keywords typed into the address bar are not a url, it performs a google "I'm feeling lucky" search. Also included are keywords to quickly quickly search imdb, amazon, etc (and you can set up your own).

Last edited:
Appears to work in Safari 5, at least in a two step process.
But, I have Comcast, and that simple entry (myspace cynic in the URL address block) takes me straight to a Yahoo results page, with what appears to be good results at the top of the list. So, rather than 'feeling lucky', I can choose the link that I want from the results, eh?
So, sure, it's possible, just depends on your setup. Could be an extension (as more appear) that will do that locally, which I suppose is what you are asking...
Maybe someone else will supply a better answer.

I was wondering if there was a way to enable or add the functionality (safari extensions?) of Firefox's url bar to Safari. For example, in firefox if I want to go to the myspace page for example of the band Cynic, I would just type "myspace cynic" in the address bar and it would take me right to the page. In basic, it treats incomplete urls as a google searches, feeling lucky. Is it possible to do this in safari 5?

Thanks

I do this in any browser because I use Shortcuts in OpenDNS.com.

I've got a problem. The search typically works (using the url format http://www.google.com/search?q={query}&btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky), but sometimes it will just take me to the regular search results page instead of doing the feeling lucky search. It seems like this happens with less popular search terms. However, if you do the same search from the main google page and click the feeling lucky button, it will ALWAYS take you direct to a page. What's going on here?

Back