smells like hot electrical...

goldi1ocks

Registered
I've had my pro since the initial release but this morning started smelling a strong odor of overheating electrical components. I took it in to Apple tonight to only be told that they would not fix it under the initial warranty - or my extended care - because there is a very small cosmetic dent on the lid (so minimal that you can barely feel it in the surface). Apparently this voids EVERYTHING in the computer. Despite it clearly being cosmetic (there is no ill effect to the screen, nothing! this flaw has been around for about 4 months now). They "guess" that the problem is my "lifeboard" (I assume this is the motherboard) and would like me to pay $1100 to send it in.

So my questions are these... is this particular problem common in this model? Could the problem have been caused by the new replacement battery they sent me the other day (due to the "performance issues" the original batteries had)? Do I have a leg to stand on with the Apple people? It seems completely outrageous to me that nothing is covered on my computer at this point.

It sounds like whoever you are talking to at Apple is a complete nitwit. I assume it is one of the Apple stores or resellers. Perhaps you would be best to contact Apple directly on the support number for your country, especially if you have AppleCare. Your Macbook Pro should definitely be under warranty.

Goldi1ocks, fwiw, yes, I've seen new batteries blow out older powerboards (small board hooked up to the motherboard in the models of laptops I used to repair) from time to time. I've also seen many times when motherboards / powerboards blew out through their own free will.

Does the smell go away when the old battery's used again? When no battery's used? Any way to check the new battery in another computer (maybe the new battery's not so great)?

To second Symphonix, "nitwit" seems appropriate wrt the rep you saw. If there's not another Apple place nearby, maybe you could go to the same one again and talk to a different person (worth a shot to save the hassle of shipping your system back to Apple)?

Anyhow, best of luck. Please let us know how it turns out.

apple support used to be notorious. the trick was, if you're not happy, ask to speak to the person higer up, until you are happy.

i've some really good stories about customer care now, so just keep trying.

hammer home the point that it's just a cosmetic dent. these things happen, and the fault you have could not be caused by that dent.

Back