SMS via Phonebook.

dalo

Registered
Hi guys.

I've always used Phonebook (with a Bluetooth link to my Nokia 6680), to send SMS messages to the people in my phonebook.

Now, syncing works fine, everything is fine according to the phone and the computer, except one thing: The "Send SMS" option (upon right clicking on peples cellphone number) is suddenly grayed out. Can anybody find any logical reason for this? Have I done something? What? Everything else, when it comes to communication between phone and computer --seem to work fine.

Needless to say, using the computer to send SMS messages saves me an awful lot of time. I'd do anything to keep it in that way.

Regards, and happy new year, FFS ;-).

I used to send SMS messages for free over the internet to any phone in the world, but phone companies got wise and started closing down the networks to anything but the hand held devices. You could be up against this, but I'm not 100% sure.

I used to send SMS messages for free over the internet to any phone in the world, but phone companies got wise and started closing down the networks to anything but the hand held devices. You could be up against this, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know that. I'm more interested in getting this to work. Thanks anyway.

This is my reason for why it won't work. You're welcome. ;)

But please be logical... It worked yesterday. And by the way I didnt send FREE SMS messages, the phone is simply connected to my computer via Bluetooth. This is no "free" service. It's a SMS from me. If it's written on the computer or on the phone doesn't matter at all.

Are you sure you are following me along? I'm not talking about a bloated webpage promising free SMS messages. Im talking about the feature of the OS X bundled application Phone book.

As long as the texts are going from your computer to your phone and then through your phone's network, then I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Might be an issue with your Bluetooth connection.

If you are in the US, then use the widget SMS widget. You can send free SMS messages (in the States).

But please guys, sure there must be a reason why this has happened, and some way to fix it. The charm of this sollution is like reinstalling Windows XP to get rid of the bloat ;-).

One possibility is that Address Book is not connected to your phone properly. Is the little bluetooth icon blue or gray? What happens when you toggle it?

One possibility is that Address Book is not connected to your phone properly. Is the little bluetooth icon blue or gray? What happens when you toggle it?

The thing is that the icon IS blue, connected, and I can toggle it on and off. Off disables (of course) the rest of the connectivitiy (tho I can't say that I do USE any other kind of connection with Adress Book and my phone over BT).

It's /just/ that the "Send SMS message" and "Call with Nokia 6680" is grayed out. Everything else works, like syncing the very same phone in iSync for appointments and phone numbers.

It's very weird. Thanks for digging into this!

Does anything show up in the system log in Console.app when you toggle the connection? On possibility would be to move the preferences for address book and restart Address Book and then re-pair the phone. I am kind of grabbing at straws at the moment and hoping that there will be some info in the system logs to go on.

Back