So... Tiger: Buggy and Incomplete?

HateEternal

Mac Metal Head
It seems like there are a lot of problems that people are having, especially weird problems like folders not showing up etc. I wasn't around for the last OS upgrade 10.2 to 10.3 but where there this many problems?

I have yet to get my copy of Tiger but I have read a few reviews. Anand had a pretty complete review (from a PC users side) He seemed to like it over all but seemed disappointed as he felt it was rushed and not a finished product.

here is the Anand review: http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2404
It is pretty fair, one thing I DIDN'T like seeing (and I agree with Anand on this one) is the extra annoying security stuff when downloading stuff in safari and extracting things. I hated it when Microsoft did that in XP SP2, this might just push me back to using Firefox.

I agree with it feeling like it was rushed. The Safari thingy you mentioned is also super annoying.

Looking forward to 10.4.1 very much so :)

I haven't read Anand's review yet but I think most new OS releases are rushed these days. You have to make your quarterly profit after all!

I've had the Tiger dvd in my drive ready to go all day and I just can't get that compelled to install it. Once I began looking over the list of "Over 200 new features" I realized how little value Tiger really seems to be. That and it's a few more headaches in the meantime before the 10.4.1 update is live. Those screen widgets are nothing more than Sherlock with a cutesy interface and a ton of wasted virtual memory. And I love Sherlock!

I'd love somebody to convince me I'm just being pessimistic but the list of new features just doesn't seem all that worth it.

And oh yeah, many of the new features are already in Panther. Ichat AV? Got it. iWork? Got it. Dictionary? Got it. Windows connectivity? Got it. Safari RSS? Big F-ing deal. Widgets? Got em, they've been called Sherlock for 2 years. iCal? Got it, don't use it, it's too lite-weight for actual use. Mail? Switched to Entourage since Mail is also not industry-strength (I hope this has changed though). Spotlight? Got it, it's called Command-F, although I do think Spotlight might be worth it. Buy Printing Supplies from my OS? Aaaarrrggghhh! If you've ever seen those Would You Like To Purchase windows on XP you'll know this is a HORRIBLE addition. More international languages? NO, NO, NO!!! Aaaahhh! That's just more wasted disk space I've got to find and delete.

Where is the value? How is this an entire OS upgrade? Am I just being really negative and don't realize the bling-bling that Tiger has in store for me?

Well, I've had virtually zero problems. Couple of odd behaviors launching widget (only on the first run of it/them). Had to reset my iChat icon. Had to reset my "recent applications" back to 15. It's faster - especially in Safari. Everything seems to be zippier. Just thought I'd add some good news to remind folks that most posts are trouble related and that the majority of installs go well. (1.67gHz 17" PB, 1.5GB RAM)

I'm also trouble-free. The new Mail app is a huge improvement over the old one IMHO. The menu bar seems a lot peppier (try it: click the file menu open, and with the mouse button down, slide back and forth across the other menus. On my machine, it is noticably MUCH more responsive)

Apps seem to launch faster too.

I'd be willing to bet we'll see a 10.4.1 update by the end of next week.

If that's the case, then perhaps it would be in my best interests to wait until Saturday to install. It wont come until Monday at earliest anyway.

I've had almost zero issues with Tiger. I _love_ the new fonts in safari and the smoothing on my iBook. It looks beautiful now, alot less eye strain. Safari 2.0 also has a much smaller memory footprint. My iBook with only 640M runs much better with Tiger then Panther, almost never swaps to disk now.

Brian

I like Tiger alot so far. I think it is a reasonable step forward. It also seems pretty quick. For example, repairing disk and permissions is much faster. Cloning and Safari also seem faster.

I like the ease of accessing the things in Dashboard and their variety. I will be using these things now versus Sherlock and the web because of the easy access. While I have not used it much, Spotlight seems quite good--like having a database of your computer with all sorts of ways to organize the results of searches. I like RSS fine; I can see that I will use it some.

I have had no problems with Tiger. In fact, it fixed two problems I was having with 10.3.9. Sharepoints wasn't working properly, but works correctly now. And, Tiger fixed a printing problem I was having.

Moving to Tiger from 10.3.9 went great. I installed Tiger using (a) update, (b) archive and install/preserve user and network settings, and (c) custom erase and install/importing documents, apps., settings, etc., from the update version using Setup Assistant. All 3 versions work great.

in terms of 200+ features, i am dissapointed. spotlight doesn't appear to be the god send i wanted to be, and is no where near as good as itunes searching.

dash board - the more i use it (or don't) the less i want to use it - i never used konfab, so i've little need for the weather etc. it's also not lightning fast like exposé - i've seen it stall as it updates the widgets on opening.clocks seem to be the worst for this

rss... the shortened articles are too short - the slider won't go any bigger! it's either cryptic headline, or cryptic headline and too short an explanation!

$0.02

Absolutely trouble-free here. Well, it sometimes seems that after a while some sounds don't do anymore (maybe related to pluggin in earphones, BT headset and taking them away again, dunno). A re-login helps. I guess that's something a 10.4.1 update will correct, though. Otherwise, I think Tiger's been a really, really good first version.

Tiger is ***... mail 2 kicks a**, Quicktime 7 pro is ***, spotlight is handy, so far 10/10...

[Edit: Watch your language, read the board rules.]

Installation went fine, and I found most apps - bar BitTorrent, Stuffit and Onyx - worked just fine. Though I realise some of the changes are under the hood, I do feel that "200 new features" is bloated marketing babble at best.

I have very mixed feelings about Spotlight and Smart Folders. Upside is that it does work as advertised: fast and comprehensive. Downside is that Apple does not support Bolean searches, which seriously hampers the practical use throughout the system (including Mail).

Also - and I posted about this elsewhere - Smart Folders don't include Mail and To Dos, which means for me it fails as a potentially brilliant way to manage client projects. I assumed - wrongly - that I would be able to define a Smart Folder in such a way that it could hold all the items related to a projects: documents, mails, To Dos, iCal events, websites....Silly me...

I've only had one problem at the start and one KP on boot at the grey screen. Rebooted with the reset button and it booted fine.

Finder went haywire while Spotlight indexing and me copying 40 GB of stuff back onto my main drive.

Rebooted and it was fine again.

I installed it on my old B&W G3 and it's FAST on there. I couldn't believe how fast it was. Much faster than Panther. Even Safari windows resize pretty fast. It only has a Rage 128, not Pro, video card too. That shows how much Tiger has improved the software rendering of windows.

Widgets using 200MB+ of VM each bugs me a lot though, so I only have 2 of them open.

so, let me get this one straight - if you have a really old mac, tiger's amazing.

if you have a g5, or a high end g4, it's slow, and choppy.

excuse me

huh?

It's still faster on my G4 than the G3. Can't say about G5s myself but everyone has been posting that it's fast on those as well. With the exception of a few.

Back